20 March 2021

17 March 2021

DJ regains consciousness . . .

DJ, still in his dress, is just waking up on Rhys’s sofa and looks at the Sioned mask;  

. . . only to discover that his phone is missing

then he realises he does not have his phone.

Non looks at the Facebook photos . . .

Non is in the café, looking on a laptop at the Facebook photos from the stag night, 

. . . with obvious distaste

and appears very disapproving.

Mathew's father is washing-up

Mathew gets up with a hangover and finds his father doing the washing-up, rather noisily.   

"Pleas can you keep the noise down, Dad?"

“Please, can you keep the noise down?” he asks, and Ray says he has been up since six.

"Do you have to sing in the shower?"

Then Izzy comes in and, as usual, complains, “Did you have to sing at the top of your voice in the shower?”   Mathew points out that it is not ncessary for him to get up so early, but he was just doing some cleaning.   Izzy takes this as a dig at her;  

"You think it's my job because I'm a woman?"

“So you think cooking and cleaning is my job because I’m a woman?   I’m going to town – see you later.”

"Can't you try to get on with her?"

Mathew begs his father to try and get on with her, 

"Give me the keys for APD"

and Ray suggests, “Give me the keys for APD – I thought I could help out there, as you’re in no fit state to go to work.   

"I won't succeed if it's closed"

“It won’t succeed if it’s closed, while Jason and Eifion are out on site.   I can work there for a couple of hours.”   

Mathew is in no state to argue

Mathew accepts the offer, and then reclines on the sofa.

Kath is finding a suitable dress for her date, and asks Cassie, “How about this?”   

"Do you have something more . . ."

Cassie wonders if she has something more . . .   “What – sexy?” Kath demands, 

Non returns to Maes-y-Deri 

as Non comes in through the front door.   

"If he doesn't like me as I am, tough!"

“Listen, I don’t want a makeover – I just want some company.   If he doesn’t like me as I am, tough!”   

She reminds Non that she will not be at the Spanish lesson today, and Cassie explains that she has a date.   Non is told that her phone has not stopped ringing today;  

"John White want the Spanish lessons at Y Felin"

“I answered it in the end – it was John White, who wants to move the Spanish lessons to Y Felin.”

Non glumly replies that she is cancelling and will phone him now, 

"I don't feel very special"

maintaining that she does not feel very special;  Kath says that he will be disappointed, as he has made Tapas and everything.   “He and Anita can eat it, then,” Non moans, as she looks at her phone and appears even more miserable.

Mathew is making a cup of tea

Mathew is putting a very large number of spoonfuls of sugar into his tea when DJ comes in from the bathroom, asking how Mathew’s head is feeling.   

"I woke up on Rhys's sofa – and I've lost my phone"

“I woke up on Rhys’s sofa – I don’t know how I got there – and I’ve lost my phone,” he groans.   He returns the dress to Mathew, 

Mathew looks disapproving

who looks disapproving.

“Have I done something to upset you, or what?” DJ wants to know, 

"If I said something stupid, I'm sorry"

“Why are you so surly?   You know I can’t hold my beer, so if I said something stupid, I’m sorry, right?”

"You didn't say anything to me"

“You didn’t say anything to me,” Mathew replies, and DJ vows never to drink those cocktails again;  

"I'll see if someone has picked it up"


he is going to the Deri, to see if someone might have picked up his phone.

Yes, someone has picked up the phone

As soon as he is gone, the phone in Mathew’s pocket sounds and there is a message from Non, asking, ‘Why are you ignoring me?’

At APD, Cassie is rather surprised to see an unfamiliar face working there;  

"I'm sure I can help"

Ray explains that Jason and Eifion are out on site, but he is sure that he can help.   

"The thing is, my sink is broken"

“Well, the thing is, my sink is broken, and I’ve phoned Iolo, but he hasn’t contacted me,” Cassie tells him.

“Typical plumber – you don’t need him anyway.   We sell washers, I’ve got tools – 

"I'll save you a fortune"

“I’ll fix it for you, and you’ll save a fortune,” says Ray.   

"I live at number 9"

She says that she lives at number 9, and he tells her to put the kettle on;  he will be over now.

"Are Jason or Eifion here?"

Then Guto comes in, looking for either Eifion or Jason, 

"I'm looking after the place today"

and Ray says that he is looking after the place today, while the others are out on the site.    Guto explains that he needs help.

"I dont know anything about buttonholes"

DJ has answered the phone at Penrhewl;  he remarks that he does not know anything about buttonholes, and will phone them back.   

Mathew walks in

Then Mathew arrives, as DJ complains that he does not know what is going on with this wedding, 

"Sioned has organised everything"

as Sioned has organised everything.

"You need to find another best man"


“There’s one thing that you need to organise yourself,” Mathew begins, “You need to find another best man.   I don’t want to do it!”   DJ is shocked by this, and suspects that Mathew is nervous about his speech.

"I know about you and Non!"

Mathew spells it out, “I know about you and Non!   I heard you talking to Mark last night!   I can’t congratulate the happy couple, knowing you’ve been sleeping with her behind Sioned’s back!   How could you do that?   I didn’t think you were the type.”

"I'm not the type"

DJ rather lamely replies that he is not the type, 

"You don't know how lucky you are!"

but Mathew continues, “You don’t know how lucky you are to be with Sioned!”   DJ agrees, saying that he could not believe it when she asked him to marry her – they are not in the same league.   Neither could Mathew believe it.

"What does she see in me, Math?"

“What does she see in me, Math?” he demands, and is told that she wants a future with him – she is the one who proposed to him.   “I have thought about us here with the children running around,” DJ confesses, and Mathew is sure that she feels the same.

"Then I think about Non – I adore her!"

But then he continues, “Then I think about Non – we understand each other, and I adore her!”   Mathew is incredulous, as DJ adds, “I’ve got myself into a hole here, and I don’t know how to get out.   

"If you don't decide, I'll tell Sioned!"

Mathew makes it quite clear that he needs to decide today;  “Because if you don’t, I’ll tell Sioned!”   He puts down DJ’s phone on the table, remarking, “Non’s trying to get hold of you,” and leaves the farmhouse.

DJ picks up his phone

DJ picks it up and leaves a message;  “I’ve noticed that you phoned lots of times.   I lost my phone, but I’ve found it now – 

"We'll talk later, shall we?"

“so we’ll talk later, shall we?”   He looks very troubled

"I've got Mathew's lunch"

Izzy comes into the shop flat with a takeaway for Mathew;  she is told by Ray that he has gone out somewhere.   

"It's odd you're not keeping an eye on him"

“It’s odd that you didn’t go with him to keep an eye on him and tell him what to do,” she comments, but he points out that he has been busy at APD, just helping out.

“How long are you planning to stay?” she demands, 

"I shall be here as long as my son needs me"

and he says that he will be there for as long as his son needs him, which does not go down well with her.

He points out that she could have cooked something 

"Typical Cardi, watching every penny"

and she snarls, “To save money, is it?   Typical Cardi, watching every penny.”   Ray has heard that he needs to be careful when she is around, and has heard that she was sacked from her last job;  

"Something about money going missing"

something about money going missing and fraudulent accounts.

"Sly foxes, waiting for their opportunity"


She calls that a misunderstanding, and he goes on, “The trouble with people who steal is that they cannot be trusted – they’re sly foxes, waiting for their opportunity.   

"I'm glad I'm here – to keep a close eye on you!"

“That’s what you’re like – and that’s why I’m glad I’m here – to keep an eye on Mathew – and a closer eye on you!”

Non is downhearted

Non is sitting at miserably at Maes-y-Deri when Mark comes in through the back door, telling her, “Siôn was gutted that you cancelled the lesson – 

"He offered me a doggy bag full of tapas"

“but he offered me a doggy bag full of tapas.   He was too tight to give me wine, though.”

"I was a fool to believe DJ"

He notices Non’s mood, and she whines, “I was a fool to believe DJ.   He went on his stag night – there are photos all over Facebook of him laughing and enjoying himself – when he’d organised to be with me!   And he’s ignoring my calls, so I’m not bothering any more.”

“Well, he wasn’t enjoying himself when I saw him at the stag night,” Mark comments, “I went to the Deri for a quiet pint and he was there – and unhappy.   

"He said he loves you"


“He said he loves you.”   Non cannot believe that he said that, but Mark confirms that he did and advises her to phone him again.

“He might just ignore me again,” she sighs, but Mark points out that DJ might not be able to answer because Sioned is around.   

"He has phoned me, Mark!"

When she looks at her phone, she is astonished that he has in fact phoned her — and she calls him back;    “Hiya, it’s me!”

"Don't complain, Cassie – I'm comfortable"

In the Deri, Kath comes in and warns Cassie not to complain about her dress;  “I’m comfortable, and that’s what’s important.”   

"I think I've left the iron on"

Then she has an attack of cold feet and maintains that she may have left the iron on, but Cassie tells her not to talk nonsense.

Cassie indicates her date

She points out that Kath’s date is waiting for her;  “Delme, is it?” Kath says, 

"Well – Kath Jones!"

and he is very surprised to see that it is Kath Jones.   

"What's this Delme nonsense?"

“Well – Doc?” she says, surprised, because neither of them had recognise the other’s photo.   “What’s this Delme nonsense?   Is that your real name?” she demands, 

"They called me 'Doc' because I was the first aider"

and he says that they called him ‘Doc’ at the post because he was the first aider. 

Kath is astonished, 

"Looking good so far"

and Cassie thinks things are going well so far.

"I've been with DJ"

Izzy has just made a cup of tea when Mathew returns to the flat, and she demands where he has been;  “With DJ,” he answers.   In her customary manner, 

"Your fish and chips are in the bin!"

she moans that she bought fish and chips, and if he wants them, the are in the bin.   

"I am his best man, you know"

“Sorry, we had things we needed to discuss – I am his best man, you know that.”

“He’s marrying Sioned, not you!” she snarls, and he wonders what is wrong with her today.   

"Your Dad is driving me up the wall!"

“Your Dad – he’s driving me up the wall – he expects me to act like a maid, and he’s been helping out at APD!   

"He's just trying to get his feet under the table"

“He’s just trying to get his feet under the table.”

Her tirade is interrupted by the arrival of Mathew’s father, who relates that Tesni’s brother came in;  “What’s his name?   Guto – 

"Tesni's run away, apparently"

“she’s run away, apparently – there is no sign of her anywhere.”   Mathew immediately decides that he had better text her, which is opposed by Izzy.

"She's not your problem, Math!"

“She’s not your problem!” she rages, but Mathew maintain that he can still text her.   

"Her parents are worried sick about her"

Ray detects that she is jealous, and says that her parents are worried sick about her;  he regards her as nice girl.   

“Not like me, you mean!” interjects Izzy, 

"Earns her living flirting with old men!"

“A girl who earns a living by flirting with old men!   Perhaps that’s why you like her!”

“A young girl is missing, and that’s all you’ve got to say?” asks Ray, 

"I'll phone her later"

and Mathew changes his mind;  he will phone her later.   His father informs him that he sold some plumbing stuff to Cassie;  “I went to the house to help with the sink.”   

"Fancy your chances with her as well, do you?"

Izzy suspects that he fancies his chances with her as well, 

"It was nice to do a good deed"

but he replies that it was nice to do a good deed, adding that she is a smart woman.

“Well, you have no chance with your chauvinistic attitude!” Izzy warns him, and tells Mathew, 

"No wonder your Mam had an affair!"

“No wonder your Mam had an affair!”   He reprimands her, but his father walks out of the flat.   Izzy looks quite pleased with herself.

"I spend most of my time in the shed"

In the Deri, Delme tells Kath, “I was bitten by a dog once too often, and then I retired – since then I’ve spent most of my spare time in the shed.”   

"Our Mark's a postman now, you know"

She informs him that Mark is a postman now, and that Stacey is in London, doing well.

“Did you meet Ricky – Mark’s boy?” she wonders, “He’s at University.   

"We had a houseful"

“You know, they were all living in our house at one time – Debbie, Ricky’s mother, then her daughter, Vicky and her son, Nicky.   We had a houseful – but now its just Non.”

"I bet you were the boss"

He imagines that she was the boss, but she says there were plenty of arguments;  “Didn’t you used to be with . . ?”   

"I lost Esme . . . to Rob in despatch!"

Delme completes her sentence, advising that he lost Esme, and Kath asks what got her in the end.   “Rob from dispatch,” he answers, bitterly, adding that his children are grown up as well;  they have been telling him he should go out and try to meet someone else.

"That's why you started mountaineering then?"

“So that’s why you started mountaineering, is it?” presumes Kath, “That’s on your profile.”   He laughs and admits that the nearest he has come to mountaineering, is climbing the hill from the rugby club to the house on a Friday night.

"Taking photos and dancing?"

Then he recalls Kath’s profile;  “What was it – taking photos and dancing?”   She does not recognise this, as it was inserted by someone else, 

"Just trying to make an impression"

but bluffs that she was just trying to make an impression,

“A couple of pints, a game of darts and I’m happy,” she summarises, “Do you want a game of darts now?”   

"Yes, why not?"

He agrees that he might as well.

"The way he talks to me is wrong!"

As Izzy slams the fridge door, she complains, “The way he talks to me is wrong – and you made no effort to defend me.”   

"How about the way you spoke to him?"

Mathew is adamant that the way she spoke to him was wrong, and she should apologise, as all his father has done today is try to help him.

“And all he’s done to me is to insult me!” she exclaims, “I know he’s your father, but I’m your girlfriend.   Tell him to go!”   Mathew accuses her of over reacting, 

"I'm going to do a bit of labouring for Eifion tomorrow"

just as his father comes back in, reporting that he is going to do a bit of labouring for Eifion tomorrow, so he will be out of Izzy’s way.

"Go on, tell him, Mathew!"

She instructs Mathew to tell his father, and when he refuses to do so, she says it herself;  “We don’t want you here!”   

"That's not true, Dad!"

Mathew insists that is not true, but Izzy will not stop;  

"We want you to leave!"

“We don’t like you, we don’t get on and we want you to leave!”

"Is that what you want, Mathew?"

Ray enquires if that is what Mathew wants, and he replies that what he wants is for everyone to get on, but again Izzy interrupts, “That won’t happen if you stay!”

"I don't want you to leave, Dad"

She has now pushed Mathew too far, and he states quite clearly, “I dont want you to leave, Dad, and I appreciate your help today.”   

"If he's not going, I will!"

Izzy cannot believe that he is serious, and points out that if Ray is not going, she will.   

She rants that blood is obviously thicker than water, 

Ray is not at all worried about that

and Ray looks quite happy to see the back of her, commenting, “Let her go – you deserve better than her!”

DJ is told that Non is leaving

DJ has again sneaked off to Maes-y-Deri, where Non informs him that she is leaving tomorrow.   He appears puzzled, 

"I can't stay here and watch you marry Sioned"

so she explains, “I told you, I can’t stay here and watch you marry Sioned.”   He begs her not to do so, but she argues that she has no choice, and cannot stay.

"But I'll never see you again"

“I know I’ve been hopeless, but, if you leave, I’ll never see you again,” he whines.   She emphasises that she cannot share him, and he maintains that he cannot live without her, 

"Come with me, then"

so she urges him to come with her.

"I can't leave just like that"

“I can’t leave just like that,” he says, but Non tells him they can go to Brecon, sell the house and they can be together.

"What about Sioned?   I can't hurt her like that"

“But what about Sioned?   I can’t hurt her like that!” he insists, 

"But you don't mind hurting me!"

and Non assumes that he does not mind if she gets hurt.   She pleads with him to come with her, but the episode ends before he makes any decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment