11 April 2024

9 April 2024

Cassie is woried about Howard


Cassie marches into the farmhouse at Deri Fawr, while Eileen protests that they should not just walk into someone else’s house.   “No-one has seen him for days – and I’m worried about him!” snaps Cassie.   

"Howard!"

She calls for him but there is no reply.

"He's probably out in the fields"

Eileen suggests that he is probably out in the fields, but Cassie has phoned him several times;  she asks whether Eileen has checked the sheds, which she says she has done, then comes up with the excuse that he might have gone to the market.

"He must be here somewhere"

“His car’s outside – so he must be here somewhere,” concludes Cassie and resolutely continues her search.

"Does this look too 'corporate'?"

At Maes-y-Deri, Kelly is debating what to wear;  “I want to look serious, but I don’t want to look like I’m trying too hard,” she tells Cheryl, “Does this look too ‘corporate’?   It’s a divorce I’m trying to finalise, not a business deal.”

"I didn't expect to have an appointment today"

Cheryl maintains that there is no difference between the two these days and Kelly wishes that she had more time to prepare;  “I didn’t expect to have an appointment today.”

"Have you finished with the cheese  and milk?"

Gaynor enquires whether she has finished with the cheese and milk;  Kelly continues, “Do you know what?   I think I’ll go for this,” as she puts on another jacket, 

"I am doing the right thing, aren't I?"

“I am doing the right thing, aren’t I?”

Gaynor has experience of divorce

Gaynor tries to convince her that divorce can be a positive thing;  “Look at Colin and me – as well as Hywel and me.   But the sooner you sort things out the better, so you can all move on.”

"Wish me luck!"

Kelly put on her coat and tells them, “Wish me luck!” then leaves the house, 

She meets Mark in the doorway

just as Mark comes in.   

"She is stressed, Gaynor"

Gaynor complains that she could have cleared up the mess before she went, but is reminded by Cheryl that Kelly is stressed.

Mark moans about the state of the bathroom

Mark moans about the state of the bathroom;  “Toothpaste in the sink and wet towels on the floor.   I know she’s going through a lot, but this house is full as it is.”   Cheryl reprimands him, 

"He may have a point"

but Gaynor confesses that he may have a point.

“I can’t throw her out – she has nowhere else to go,” replies Cheryl.

Cassie discovers Howard

Howard is still semiconscious when Cassie walks into the shed and discovers him;  

"Howard, can you hear me?"

she hurries to him and asks, “Can you hear me?” then calls to Eileen, 

Eileen is very anxious

who appears very anxiously in the doorway.

Cassie asks Howard what happened and he groans, “My leg.”   She demands how it happened 

"Gun"

and he simply answers, “Gun.”   

"He doesn't know what he's saying"

Eileen comments that he does not know what he is saying, but Cassie wants to know who did this.   Now Eileen is looking even more anxious, 

"Phone for an ambulance, Eileen!"

as Cassie instructs her to phone for an ambulance.

"Something smells nice"

In the Deri flat, Eleri walks in, commenting something smells nice.   Kath has found a recipé online for lemon chicken;  

"I thought we'd have a nice dinner together"

“I thought we’d have a nice dinner together tonight.”   

"I'll be going out"

Eleri points out that she will be going out tonight so she will not need any;   

“Sorry, is it a problem?” she asks, 

"You do exactly as you want"

and Kath tells her to do exactly as she wants.   Eleri makes it clear that is what she intends to do and wonders if Kath has spoken to Cassie yet.   

"Don't leave it too long"

“Don’t leave it too long – we don’t want things to be awkward.”   Kath may be getting just a little tired of this.

"It's possible he's got sepsis"

In the hospital, Cassie brings Eileen a cup of tea;  “I’ve spoken to the doctor – it’s possible that he’s got sepsis,” which Eileen knows is serious.

“They’ve cleaned out the wound and given him strong antibiotics – hopefully they will kick in quickly.”   

Suddenly, Eileen is in a hurry to get away . . .

Eileen thinks that she had better go now and asks Cassie to get in touch if anything happens.   

. . . which surprises Cassie

Cassie is rather surprised by her lack of concern.

However, her way is blocked

However, before Eileen can reach the door, she is confronted by a police officer;  “Mrs Probert and Mrs Morris?   Good afternoon, DS Thomas – 

"I'd like a word about the events at Deri Fawr "

“I’d like a word about the events up in Deri Fawr.”   Eileen looks very guilty (as well she might).

"It's pointless, wasting money on solicitors"

Kelly is sitting in the deli with Jason;  “I just think it’s pointless, wasting money on solicitors – their fees are astronomical, Jase!   We can be amicable – we can do this ourselves.   What’s the point making things harder than they are?”

A call from Eileen 

Her phone sounds and she sees that it is Eileen who is calling, so she ignores the call.   She tells Jason that things are fine, 

"Apart from the fact I haven't been paid for a month!"

“Well, apart from the fact that I haven’t been paid for a month – and I’m sleeping in Mark Jones’ spare bedroom!”

"Why hasn't Ieuan paid you?"

Jason demands why Ieuan has not paid her and is told that it is a long story;  “Please, Jase, can we sort this divorce between us?   

"I wouldn't ask unless I was desperate"

“I wouldn’t ask unless I was desperate.”

He assures her that of course they can sort it out between them;  “I’m sorry, Kelly – I didn’t know you were struggling.”   The phone sounds again and she is about to go outside to answer it when she meets Mark in the doorway;  

She walks out to answer her phone

Jason is at a loss to know what is going on.

"Yes, I'm on my way!"

She walks a few steps along the street;  “Yeah, what do you want, Eileen?   You what?   Yes, I’m on my way!”

"Mam doesn't trust Kelly"

Mark sits down with Jason, who tells him, “If I don’t go through a solicitor, Mam will go mad!   She doesn’t trust Kelly.”

"Do you trust her?"

Mark asks the obvious question – whether he trusts Kelly and he answers that of course he does.   “Well, there we go, then – just do what’s right for you two,” Mark advises, 

"Is she still going to be part of Ifan's life?"

“Is Kelly still going to be part of Ifan’s life?   She misses him, you know.”

"The last thing I wanted to do was upset Kelly"

Jason is well aware of that and admits that the last thing he wanted to do was to upset Kelly;  “I just wanted to give Ifan time to get used to the new situation – I still want them to have a relationship.   Ifan loves her, she knows that.”

"Isn't that more reason to keep things civil"

“So isn’t that even more of a reason to keep things civil?” asks Mark;  

"It's nice to hear someone talk some sense"

Jason says that it is nice to hear someone talk some sense, and thanks Mark for doing so.   

"I'm not given half enough credit"

“I’m not given half enough credit for doing that!” Mark laughs, 

"Your Mam's just worried about you"

“Listen, Jase, your mother’s just worried about you – as soon as she realises that you and Kelly can sort things out, she’ll be glad you’re not spending thousands on solicitors.

"Do you know who did it?"

In the hospital, the DS points out that the injuries are consistent with a bullet being fired near his leg.   “Do you know who did it?”asks Cassie, while Eileen sits with a sullen look on her face.

That is what the police are trying to find out;  

"Did you see anyone about?"

the DS asks if Cassie saw anyone else about and she replies, “Only Eileen.”   

"I didn't see anything"

Of course Eileen replies that she did not see anything or anyone;  that concludes the questions for now, but the DS will be in touch.

"Who would want to shoot Howard?"

As they leave the hospital, Cassie wonders, “Who would want to shoot Howard?”   

"Perhaps he fell"

Eileen suggests that it may have been an accident;  that he fell while he was carrying a gun.   

"And shot himself in the back of his leg?"

“And shot himself in the back of his leg?” demands Cassie, incredulously, “Are you sure you didn’t see anyone?”

Eileen again stresses that she did not;  “You said you’d checked the sheds – how did you miss Howard groaning in pain?” Cassie suspiciously enquires and is told that she must have missed that shed.   

Cassie goes home

Cassie is going home now, as Howard will not be allowed visitors for a while.   Eileen contemplates the mess in which she has landed herself.

Mark comes into number 9

Dani opens the door of number 9 and welcomes Mark;  she asks if everything is OK.   “I was wondering whether you’ve found a lodger for next door,” he says;  apparently Tomos ac Ellis are supposed to be looking, but have found no one yet.   

"Has Cheryl kicked you out again?"

Dani asks whether Cheryl has kicked him out again.

He replies that they are fine, unlike Kelly and Jason;  “Everything’s over there.”   

"Do you know what happened?"

Dani asks if he knows what happened, but he does not have the details;  

"Cheryl was up late last night, talking to Kelly"


“Cheryl was up late last night talking to Kelly.”   Dani  is surprised to hear that she is staying with them.   “That’s why I was asking about the house.”

"No way!"

Dani is quick to exclaim, “No way!   You remember the on-off relationship she and Jinx had?   Come on!”   Mark tries to point out that it has been over for a long time;  

"That's how I want it to stay!"

“And that’s how I want it to stay!” she snarls.

Mark pleads with her, pointing out that he and Cheryl have not had a moment to themselves for weeks;  

"Will you do it for me?   Please?"

“If you don’t want to do this for Kelly – do it for me!   What do you say?”   She does not immediately answer.

"He's been shot?"

Cassie has returned to the Deri flat, where Kath is very surprised to hear that Howard has been shot.   “I can’t do anything until he comes round,” says Cassie and asks how things are there.

"Special occasion, is it?"

“There’s some lemon chicken in the oven,” so Cassie assumes that it is some special occasion.   

"So we can have a talk"

“No, I just thought we’d have a nice dinner, all of us together, so we can talk.”

"Come on – spit it out, Kath "

“Talk about what?” Cassie asks, “Come on, spit it out, Kath.”

"Now that Eleri's staying here . . ."

“The thing is, Cassie, now that Brynmor’s home, thank goodness, and that Eleri’s staying here . . . I just thought it would be worth discussing . . . living arrangements – you know what I mean.   

". . . we could find somewhere for you to live"

“I thought it might be an idea if we found somewhere for you to live, not too far away – somewhere nearby.”

"This is my home, Kath"

“But this is my home,” Cassie begins, 

"Oh, I see – Eleri wants me to move out"

then continues, “Oh, I see – Eleri wants me to move out.   What do you think of the idea?”

"Well . . . you see . . ."

Kath is rather noncommittal, 

"I thought you weren't going to do her dirty work"

so Cassie complains, “I thought you were going to stand up to her – and you weren’t going to do her dirty work!”   Kath denies that she is doing that.   

"Well, well, well"

“Well, well, well,” mutters Cassie as she walks out of the room.

Kelly joins Eileen

Eileen is peering through the blinds at Howard in his hospital bed when Kelly appears;  “Is he . . . OK?” she asks  

"He's sedated after the surgery"

and Eileen replies that he is sedated after the surgery.

"What are we going to do?"

“Listen, Kelly,” she continues, “They know he’s been shot – what are we going to do?”

"This is your mess, Eileen!"

Kelly reminds her that this is her mess.   “I’m worried about my family,” says Eileen, but as far as Kelly is concerned, she is just worried about herself.   

"I'm worried about Huwi-John and Sioned"

“No, I’m worried about Huwi-John and Sioned.”

"You should have thought about that before shooting him"

“You should have thought about that before shooting Howard,” she is informed, 

"I can't go to jail!"

but Eileen insists that she cannot go to jail.   “We have to tell the cops, before they find out for themselves,” Kelly advises, but Eileen begs her not to talk to them.

"I've had it up to here, OK? . . ."

“I don’t have a choice – I’ve had it up to here, OK, with keeping people’s secrets!” Kelly growls, “I’ve got so much going on in my own life like you wouldn’t believe.   

". . . I don't need this drama on top of everything else!"

I don’t need this drama on top of everything else!”

"Perhaps you'll go to jail"

“Don’t you think the police will want to know why you were there and why you didn’t tell them about the shooting for over a week?” demands Eileen, “Perhaps you’ll go to jail.”

"Not for attempted murder, though!"

“Not for attempted murder, though,” is Kelly’s stinging reply.

"I'll make damn sure you go down with me!"

“If I’m going down, I’ll make damn sure you go down with me!” Eileen threatens.   

Kelly walks out

Kelly simply walks away from her.

"What was the answer"

Eleri comes downstairs into the Deri and wants to know what was the answer;  

"Yes, I've talked to her"

“Yes, I’ve talked to her,” says Kath and is praised for doing the right thing.   “Are you going anywhere nice?” asks Kath and is told that Eleri is meeting a friend in Swansea – an old business partner.

"You have plans to work together again?"

“So you have plans to work together again?” Kath goes on, 

"None of your business, Kath"

but is disdainfully told that is none of her business and that she should enjoy her lemon chicken.   Surely Kath has seen through her by now.

Kelly needs a stiff drink

Kelly comes into the Deri after her visit to the hospital;  “Gin and tonic, please?” she asks Kath as Dani follows her in, 

"I heard about you and Jason"

remarking that she heard about Kelly and Jason.   

"Good news travels fast!"

“Oh, aye – good news travels fast!” Kelly groans.

Dani is the sure that it cannot be easy;  “And I heard things weren’t easy in Maes-y-Deri either – Mark just said it’s a bit crammed in there.   

"You could move into number 7"

“So, if you want, you can move into number 7.”

“Wow!” gasps Kelly, “Mark must really want to get rid of me – go on, then, if you’re offering, like.”   Dani points out that the place is empty, and suggests £650 a month with a £200 deposit.   

"Would you consider £500?"

Kelly enquires if she would consider £500, but Dani lies that there has been a lot of interest and then leaves.

She sits miserably at the bar

Kelly sits down miserably at the bar with her drink and then Jason joins her;  

"Shall we carry on with the chat?"

“What we were talking about – shall we carry on with the chat?” he says.   Kelly would prefer to do this another time, so he asks, 

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?"

“Are are you going to tell me what’s wrong?”   She growls that it is not his job to look after her, 

"Come on – spill!"

but he urges her, “Come on – spill!”

“All right – well, for starters, Tomos ac Ellis is on the brink of collapse – you’ll have to ask Griffiths about the details.”   

"So that's why you haven't been paid"

He realises that is why she has not been paid;  

"And why I can't afford anywhere to live"

“And that’s why I can’t afford anywhere to live – that’s why I can’t live with Griffiths and Auntie Neet.”

"Why are you still working there?"

Jason cannot understand why she is still working there;  she answers that it is complicated – in fact it is a total disaster;  “I don’t know how to get myself out of this mess.”

"We need to talk about this divorce . . ."

Jason proposes, “Right, we need to talk about this divorce,” but she does not want to do that now.   

". . . and we need to do it now, all right?"

“Kelly, it’s obvious what we need to do and we need to talk about it now – all right?”

"I'll make you a snack"

Eileen arrives at the farmhouse with Huwi-John; she tells him to take his coat off and she will make him a snack.   

Eileen wants to talk to him

He is going to play upstairs, but before he goes, his mother wants a chat with him.

"You haven't told anyone, have you?"

“Do you remember the accident that happened last week with Howard?   You haven’t told anyone about it, have you?   Or talked about it at school?”    

"You said it was our secret"

He replies that he has not;  “You said it was our secret.”   Eileen commends him for this, 

"What will you tell anyone who asks?"

and enquires what he will tell anyone who asks about it.   

"I saw nothing"

“I saw nothing,” replies Huwi-John 

"There's a good boy"

and is praised as being a ‘good boy’.

"What's the occasion?"

Kelly has brought back a bottle from the Deri and Cheryl wants to know what is the occasion;  

"I want to thank you for putting a roof over my head"

“OK, first I want to thank you and Mark, for putting a roof over my head – I really appreciate it.”   

"It's been lovely having you here"

Mark replies that it has been lovely having her there.

"I won't be outstaying my welcome"

“I want to say sorry to you, Mark, for being a bit short with you in ‘Tamed’ earlier – but I’ve had some really good news – I won’t be outstaying my welcome here.”

"You'e moving into number 7?"

“You’re moving into number 7?” Mark assumes, but she is sorry to disappoint him, although thanks him for getting Dani to offer her the place anyway.

"I might be able to afford my own place"

“Who knows – perhaps I’ll be able to afford my own place,” Kelly goes on, and Mark asks if she has won the lottery.   

"Kind of, yeah . . ."

“Kind of, yeah – 

". . . Jason's offered me half of Bryntirion's value"

“Jason’s offered me half of Bryntirion’s value!”

Meanwhile, Jason is doing some calculations . . .

At Bryntirion, Jason is studiously looking at the laptop and scribbling on various pieces of paper, 

. . . which appear to be beyond his capabilities . . .

but ends up very confused and closes the laptop again;  

. . . and he finds too much

he looks overwhelmed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment