08 April 2024

4 April 2024

Kelly passes Llinos in the street

Kelly walks along the High Street 

She finds the Estate Agents shop locked . . .

and finds that the door of Tomos ac Ellis is locked;  

. . . then spots Ieuan trying to avoid her . . .

then she notices Griffiths trying to craftily slip into the Deri without being seen and shouts after him, “Oi, Ieuan!”

. . . and gives chase

She furiously rushes across the road in pursuit and discovers him hiding around a corner.   

"Don't you dare run away from me!"

“Don’t you dare run away from me!” she snarls and he maintains that he did not see her.   “Yeah, right – have you sorted it?   My wages – I need to find a solicitor and somewhere to live!” she growls.

"Your money will be in the bank soon

He replies rather vaguely that she will have the money in the bank soon, 

"And just how long is 'soon'?"

but she wants to know how long is ‘soon’. 

"Ieuan, can I have a word?"

They are interrupted by Eileen, who wants a word with Griffiths;  he invites her to sit down 

Kelly glares at Griffiths

and receives a very angry glare from Kelly before she walks away.

Ffion finds a scene of disarray . . .

There appears to be a lot of mess in Cysgod y Glyn when Ffion comes in, carrying some bags;  

. . . which horrifies her

she looks at the scene of devastation with some disgust.

"I hope you're all right, Howard"


Cassie is on the phone to Howard, but is unable to get through to him;  “I hope you’re all right,” she says, “Phone me when you get a chance.”   

"There's still no sign of him"

She informs Kath that there is still no sign of him, and as Kath is preparing to do the ironing, 

"Is that yours or Brynmor's?"

enquires whether the underwear is hers or Brynmor’s.

"It's silk, so you need to be careful"

The insufferable Eleri comes in with something to be ironed;  “It’s silk, so you need to be careful,” she comments.   Cassie suggests that perhaps she should iron it herself, but is of course  ignored.

"Is madam staying for a while?"
She asks Kath, “Is madam staying for a while?” 

"We haven't discussed it"

and is told that they have not discussed it, to be honest.   

"Are you happy she's living here?"

“Are you happy that she’s living here?” is Cassie’s next question.

“Well, Brynmor’s happy – why – is there a problem?”   Cassie simply wonders how long someone can live in a sardine tin.   

"She's no trouble, is she?"

“She’s no trouble, is she?” asks Kath, naïvely.

Ffion is not happy

Ffion is far from happy as she attempts to clear up the flat;  

"You're back already!"

Arwen comes in and is surprised to see her mother there   “Arwen – look at the mess!” Ffion exclaims, and is informed that she had a couple of friends over.

"A rugby team would cause less mess!"

“A rugby team would cause less mess!” Ffion shouts and is told to be less dramatic.   

"You were staying with Jinx and Dani"

“You were staying with Jinx and Dani!” Arwen is reminded.

"I would have had to stay in Gwern's room"

“I didn’t want to – I would have had to stay in Gwern’s old room,” she replies, but her mother insists that does not mean she can party in the flat.

“Look at the place!”   Arwen suggests that perhaps they should have had a party in the garden – only they have not got a garden.   

"All I can see are gravestones!"

She complains that when she opens the curtains in the morning, all she sees is Bethania’s gravestones.

"My artwork!"

Then Ffion discovers something which upsets her even more;  “My artwork!” she squeals.   

Arwen says she will buy another one

Arwen says that she will save up and buy another one.   

"It's an original by the artist!"

“It’s an original by the artist!” she is informed.

"What are you doing, Cassie?"

Eleri comes in to find Cassie working on the laptop;  “I’m doing the wages, if you must know,” she says, 

"Mathematics is one one of Kath's strengths"

“Kath has a lot of strengths, but mathematics is not one of them.”   

Cassie is having problems

She appears to be having some problems, 

"Do you need some help?"

so Eleri offers to help, 

"I have got maths A-level"

pointing out that she has maths A-level, but Cassie will not accept her assistance.   “I’m just offering, that’s all, seeing as you’re struggling.”

“I’ll think of you if I get stuck,” Cassie answers.

"Is there a way to buy land anonymously?"

In the Deri, Britt is enquiring, “Is there a way to buy land anonymously?”   Griffiths wonders what land she has in mind.   “Deri Fawr,” she replies 

"You want to buy that?"

and he is surprised that she wants to buy the land.

"I don't want John to know who's buying"

“Well, some of the land – and I don’t want John to know who’s buying,” she explains.   Griffiths points out that only the house is for sale, so Eileen wants to know if she can buy the land as well.

“That would require a conversation between you and the owners – and that’s a question for a solicitor, not me,” he tells her.

"I know you've got contacts"

“Oh, come on, Ieuan – I know you’ve got contacts – help me, please,” she wheedles.

He is now becoming angry;  “I’ve told you, this is nothing to do with me, right?”   Eileen is equally angry and storms out of the pub. 

Kelly comes back

Kelly is over by the bar and immediately returns;  “Oh, Kelly,” Ieuan sighs, 

"I can't pay your wages"

“I don’t have the energy to argue with you, right?   I can’t pay your wages – and I don’t know when I will be able to, either.”

"It was fine – until I got back!"

Ffion, along with Arwen, goes to see Jinx, who asks how the training course went.   “Fine – until I got back!” she replies, 

"Why did you let this one have a sleepover in the flat?"

Why did you let this one have a sleepover in the flat for two nights?”

"She said she had spoken to you"

Jinx stops her there;  “I didn’t do that – she said she was going to stay with a friend and that she has spoken to you.”   

"And you didx'tthink to check with me?"

Ffion is angry that he did not check with her first, and Arwen apologises to Jinx.

“Don’t apologise to him – it’s my home that looks like a bombsite!” Ffion complains.   

"It's my home as well!"

She is then reminded that it is Arwen’s home as well.

“If the flat were bigger, there would be less mess,” Arwen goes on, but Jinx contests this, maintaining that kids can make a mess no matter how much space they are given.

“This is not about the flat – it’s about you lying!” Ffion reprimands her daughter 

"I've said sorry lots of times"

and Arwen insists that she has said sorry lots of times.   She gets up and tells her mother she is going to tidy up.

"Everything's gone?"

Kelly is attempting to help Griffiths;  “Any personal savings?   Your mothers inheritance?   Everything’s gone?”   He nods his head as his phone rings once again.   “And who keeps phoning you all the time?”

"People who've lent me money"

He confesses that it is people who have lent him money;  “Please tell me they’re legitimate loan schemes,” she comments and he admits that some of them are, 

"Please don't tell Anita . . ."

but begs Kelly not to tell Anita.

“She’s buying bottles of champagne while you have the weight of the world on your shoulders,” she summarises, “It’s not fair on her or you!”   

". . . I don't want to lose her"

He groans that he does not want to lose Anita.

She assures him that he is not going to lose her.   

"Without this wealth, I don't have anything to offer her"

“I’m not stupid, Kelly – without the wealth, I don’t have anything to offer her.

Eleri notices the unattended laptop . . . 

The next time Eleri comes in, she sees the laptop on the table, unattended, 

and goes to have a look.   

"What do you think you're doing?"

Cassie walks in;  “Excuse me – what do you think you’re doing?” she demands.   

"Just having a look"

Eleri replies that she is just having a look, but their conversation is interrupted by Kath, 

"I've put your clothes on your bed"

who advises that she has put Eleri’s clothes on her bed.

Cassie continues that those documents are confidential and Kath wonders what is going on.   “Well, I’ve come in to find Eleri looking at the Deri’s accounts,” Cassie answers, “Are you going to tell me why?”   

Eleri cannot think up an answer that quickly

There is no immediate reply.

Eileen finds Howard working in a barn

Howard is working in a barn, very soon after his injury, and is feeling the strain when Eileen comes in.   “I hope you’ve got good news for me,” he says.

“Did you know John doesn’t own the land?” she asks, “And the land isn’t for sale anyway.”   

"Get John to talk to them"

Howard tells her to talk to John and get him to contact the owners.   

"John won't talk to me"

“John won’t talk to me – you know we don’t get on,” she snarls.

"Did you shoot him as well?"

“What – did you shoot him as well?” Howard smiles 

"I could give you the money to buy the land"

and she suggests that she could give him the money to buy the land, but he does not have a bank account.   

“You know I don’t have one – you’ve been paying me in cash for months – and I like to stay under the radar, so no-one knows my business.”

"That's the only way we can do it"

Eileen maintains that this is the only way they can do the transaction.   He disagrees, insisting, “The only way to do this is for you to buy the land in my name.”   When she is adamant that it will not work, 

"That's your problem"

 simply tells her, “That’s your problem – and you know what will happen if you don’t do it!”

Then he collapses . . .

Then he groans, and collapses on to the pile of straw.   

. . . in a semiconscious state

Eileen rushes to him and finds him semiconscious.

Ffion is much happier now

When Ffion returns to Cysgod y Glyn, she is pleasantly surprised to find the place looking much better;  

"You could have asked"

“If you wanted to have a sleepover, you could have asked?” she tells Arwen, “You didn’t have to go behind my back.”

"Sharing a lounge with the head teacher?"


“Would you really want to be here when my friends are here?” Arwen demands, “My bedroom’s too small to have friends to stay – and they would have to share a lounge with the head teacher.   

"Some of my friends are scared of you"

“Some of my friends are scared of you!”   Ffion cannot understand that.

Jinx arrives

Jinx arrives, as Arwen is explaining that it is because her mother is the head teacher;  every head is scary.   Jinx has brought a pizza, “Just a little something to say sorry for not looking after Arwen properly,” he tells Ffion, “I promise next time I won’t let her out of my sight.”

"What happened?"

Then he notices the picture, which has been on the wall for many years, has been defaced;  “What happened?” he asks.   It is pointed out that Arwen’s friends happened.   

"The best picture I ever painted!"

“This is the best picture I ever painted,” Jinx moans.

"Mam said an artist did it"

This comes as a surprise to Arwen;  “You painted it?   Mam said an artist did it.”   

"I am an artist!"

He angrily points out that he is an artist.

Eleri explains

Eleri explains (or at least gives her excuse) why she was looking at the accounts;  

"To make sure no-one was fleecing Dad"

“It was to make sure no-one was fleecing Dad and Kath.”   

"Meaning me?"

Cassie has the impression that she is the one who is suspected.

“Not necessarily – I did because I was worried that you’re taking advantage,” Eleri goes on, “You’re in charge of the wages, aren’t you?   Dad isn’t being paid as much as you.”

"I don't know why I have to explain myself to you`"

Cassie explains that Brynmor is a ‘silent partner’, while she and Kath work behind the bar.   “I don’t know why I have to explain myself to you – Kath, Brynmor and I understand each other, don’t we, Kath?”

Before Kath can speak . . .

Before Kath can say anything, 

. . . Eleri says it her way of thanking Kath and Dad

Eleri interrupts, “I wanted to make sure everything is fair in the business partnership, as a way of thanking Kath and Dad for letting me stay here.”

“Talking of staying here – when are you leaving?” wonders Cassie.   She is told that Eleri has a lot to sort out, so she imagines that she will be there for a while.   Cassie is interested to know what ‘a while’ means.

"As long as I want to be"

“As long as I want to be,” is the reply

Although Kath insists that she does care what she thinks, Cassie now realises exactly where she stands and walks out of the room.

"What's her problem?" — you, obviously

Eleri demands, “What is her problem?”   

Kath remains silent

Kath does not make any reply.

Kelly proposes a course of action

As they continue sitting in the Deri, Kelly tells Griffiths, “I’ll come back to work and explain to Rhys that our wages are going to be late, OK, but everything is in hand – 

"I won't tell Anita anything . . . but . . ."

“and I won’t tell Anita anything.   But you have to promise me that you’re not going to bury your head in the sand – promise?   And when you get yourself out of this mess, you pay me and Rhys straightaway, get it?”

"I know things haven't been easy for you, either"

Griffiths is very grateful;  “I do appreciate this – I know things haven’t been easy for you, either.   Anita said Jason has contacted a solicitor.”

"Rottweiler Ein Francis"

“Oh aye, yeah – Rottweiler Elin Francis,” she replies and Griffiths knows that she has a reputation for being vicious.   “Wish me luck,” says Kelly.

"This might help in the meantime"

“Listen, I know you want your wages more than anything, but this might help in the meantime,” he remarks, 

"He'll put that little Rottweiler in her place"

 Kelly a card.   “Malcolm Edwards is the solicitor who owns the company – he’ll put that little Rottweiler in her place – no problem at all.   

"Well, you are looking for a fight"

“Well, you are looking for a fight.”

"Have you got a minute, Cassie?"

Downstairs in the bar Kath asks Cassie if she has a minute;  

"I didn't ask her to look at the accounts"

“Look, Kath, I didn’t ask her to look at those accounts.”   Kath confirms that she is quite well aware of that;  “So why didn’t you say something, then?”

“Because I didn’t want her to think that we’re ganging up on her, OK?”   

"It looks like you're gaining up on me"

Cassie is getting the impression that they are ganging up on her and wonders what has happened to Kath;  why is she so eager to please Eleri.

"I want to make Brynmor happy"

“I want to make Brynmor happy,” is the answer, “Welcome Eleri into the family, the way he’s welcomed Mark.”

"Don't let her treat you like a maid"

Cassie does not remember Brynmor ironing Mark’s underwear and urges Kath, “Don’t let her treat you like a maid.”

Kath simply wants Brynmor to be happy;  

"He's missed out on 30 years of her life"


“He’s missed out on 30 years of Eleri’s life and now he’s enjoying being a father – I’m not going to be the one that spoils that!   So just put up with things, please.”

"Stand up for yourself!"

“On one condition,” stipulates Cassie, “That you stand up for yourself.”

Ffion is now a qualified rugby coach

As they are tucking into the pizza, Jinx asks how the course went;  “Great – I’m a qualified level three rugby coach now!” Ffion is pleased to announce.   She also wants to ask another favour;  

"I've organised a rugby trip to Aberystwyth"

“I’ve organised a rugby trip for the Cwmderi women to Aberystwyth next week.”

Jinx imagines that she wants him to look after Arwen again;  she does not like asking Cai in case it is too much for him.   

"If you trust me"

“Well, if you trust me after the mess I made this time,” he replies.   Ffion is convinced that she and Arwen understand each other now.

"She doesn't like having he friends over while I'm here"

“I don’t think she likes having her friends over while I’m here,” she says, and Jinx does not blame her, 

"It's difficult to be daughter of the head teacher"

as it must be very difficult for her to be the daughter of the head teacher.

"If we had more room . . ."

Ffion blames the size of the flat;  “If we had more room, I could stay out of their way,” she says, just as Arwen comes in.   “Perhaps it’s time to look for somewhere bigger,” Ffion suggests;  

"Are you serious, Mam?"

her daughter cannot believe that she is serious.

"I don't know what I'd do with Cai"

“It’s definitely something to consider – although I don’t know what I’d do with Cai.”   Jinx recommends that she should ask him to move out;  “It’s not that easy after everything he’s been through,” she adds, “Although we’re not together, I feel responsible for him.”

"Cai will be fine, Mam"

Arwen is convinced that Cai will be fine, 

"Not a word to him, mind!"

but is warned not to say a word to him;  Ffion wants to be very careful in the way she deals with him.

"I'd better see a doctor . . ."

Eileen sits in the barn, looking down at Howard, who is in considerable pain;  “I’d better see a doctor,” he groans, 

". . . will you phone them, please?"


as he gets out his phone and hands it to her.   “Will you phone them, please?   I won’t say you did it.”

“Why should I believe you?” she growls, 

"Please, Eileen!"

but he pleads with her.   

She is reluctant to do anything

She still does not dial the number for him.

"I was just tying to help"

In the Deri flat, Eleri apologises to Kath for putting her in an awkward spot;  “I was just trying to help,” she alleges, “Are we all right, you and me?”   

"Of course we are"

Kath replies that of course they are.

"It would be a shame if Cassie caused a rift between us"

“It would be a shame if Cassie caused a rift between us, just as we’d started getting on,” Eleri continues, “We can’t carry on like this – the four of us under one roof – it feels a bit claustrophobic.”   

"We could find you somewhere nearby"

Kath agrees there and suggests that she and Brynmor could find Eleri somewhere nearby, so she will not have to go far.

"I'm not leaving  – but perhaps Cassie should . . ."

“Me?   Oh, no – I’m not leaving – but perhaps Cassie should,” Eleri announces, “You have to admit it’s weird that she’s ‘third-wheeling’ you.   

". . . anti m might be better for you to tell her"

“And it might be better for you to tell her, as you know her best.   Great – thanks, Kath.”

This leaves Kath speechless

Kath is left speechless.

Eileen brings water, rather than a doctor . . .

Eileen has been to fetch a glass of water for Howard, 

. . . but Howard is totally 'out of it'

but when she returns, he is unresponsive and simply groans.   

"Howard, can you hear me?"

“Howard, can you hear me?” she demands.   As she cannot get any sense out of him, 

Eileen makes a hasty retreat . . .

she hurries out of the barn 

. . . leaving Howard to his fate

and leaves him to his fate.

"Apparently I should talk to you"

At Maes-y-Deri, Kelly rings the number on the card;  “I wonder if you can help me – I’m looking for a divorce lawyer and apparently I should talk to you.”

Cassie braves the wilds of Deri Fawr . . .

Cassie has become very worried about Howard, as she is unable to contact him, so has gone, in the pouring rain, to Deri Fawr.   She calls his name, 

. . . just as Eileen is making her getaway

but then sees Eileen hurrying away.   

"Eileen – what are you doing here?"

She demands, “Eileen – what are you doing here?”

She has no answer to that

Eileen simply stands there, speechless and bedraggled.


No comments:

Post a Comment