18 April 2024

16 April 2024

Sioned is sitting alone

Sioned sits, distraught, on her hospital bed;  she notices various staff consulting her records, but no-one comes to speak to her.   

"I'm looking for Sioned Rees"

At the hospital reception, DJ is demanding, “I’m looking for Sioned Rees – where is she?”   The reply is that she is not receiving visitors, so he demands, “Why can’t I see her?   Just tell me where she is.”

He goes in search of her

He marches off along the corridor to find Sioned, with the protesting receptionist running along behind.   Sioned suddenly hears his voice, shouting, “I’m the father – I have a right to be here!”   

"What the hell are you doing here?"

He enters her room and Sioned exclaims, “What the hell are you doing here, DJ?”   

"Do you want me to call security?"

The receptionist offers to call security, but is told that it is not necessary.   

"I thought you were in Ireland"

“I thought you were in Ireland,” says Sioned, 

"I came back last week"

but he replies that he came back last week;  “And you didn’t think to get in touch?” she demands.

“Like you got in touch to say you were pregnant?” he snarls. 

She wonders how he knew that she was there, but all he wants to know is whether the baby is all right.

"I'm waiting for the results"

Sioned tells him that they have taken blood and that she is waiting for the results of the tests.   

Off he goes to find them

He is intent on tracking down the results and leaves the room.   Then he encounters Maya, who asks if Sioned is OK.

“What are you doing here?   Or is that a silly question?” asks DJ, 

"She was in pain and bleeding"

so Maya explains Sioned’s pains and bleeding.

“I know you’re angry,” she goes on, 

"Why are you pursuing Sioned?"

and he demands why she is pursuing Sioned.   “I’m not,” Maya replies.

“I saw you kissing – has it happened before?”   

"Sioned and I are friends"

Maya points out that she and Sioned are friends.   

"Do you snog all your friends"

“Do you snog all your friends?” he snarls, but Maya simply wants to get an update.   He instructs her to go home and she protests that she needs to know that Sioned is all right.

"Just go – before I throw you out!"

“You’re not needed – I’m here now!” he informs her, “Just go, will you?   Before I throw you out!”   

Maya leaves

Maya has little choice but to comply.

They are booking out of the hotel in Aberystwyth and Gaynor reports that she slept quite well.   Cassie asks if there is any news about Sioned;  

"I had no idea she was pregnant"

Gaynor has received a text from Maya that they were waiting to see a doctor;  “I had no idea she was pregnant.”

"I don't think she wanted anyone to know"

“I don’t think she wanted anyone to know, poor thing,” replies Cassie, just as Tom appears.

"How are you two this morning?"

“Good morning – how are you two this morning?” he enquires;  Gaynor replies that Cassie is in good spirits, which is a miracle after all those shots.   Cassie maintains that she has had years of practice.

"I assume you've had breakfast"

Tom assumes that the ladies have had breakfast;  

"Especially the hash browns"

“Yes, and very nice it was, too, especially the hash browns,” Cassie tells him.   

"Perhaps we could keep in touch"

He says that it was nice to meet them, but there was one more thing;  “Perhaps we could keep in touch – if you want to?”   

"Of course Gaynor wants to"

Cassie replies that of course Gaynor wants to.   “I come down south with work pretty often with work – and more often over the next few months, hopefully.   Perhaps we could go for a drink or a meal, if you like.”

"Perhaps"

“Perhaps,” says Gaynor, which Cassie interprets as meaning ‘definitely’, 

He gives her his phone number

so he writes down his number on the back of a business card which he has been given, 

"Goodbye"

then wishes them goodbye.

Colin is puzzling over something

In the Deri, Colin is attempting to write a text message when Britt comes in, looking for him;  

"I thought you were going to help me at MFC"

“Oh, here you are – I thought you were going to help me at MFC this morning,” she complains, “You were supposed to help half an hour ago!”

"I just want to finish this message first"

He just wants to finish this message first, 

"Leaving me to do all the hard work!"

and she continues moaning that he is leaving her to do all the hard work.   

"I'm not quite sure what to say"

“Britt, please, wait – I’m trying to write something to Kylie, but I’m not quite sure what to say.”

"Saying sorry would be a start"

She recommends that saying sorry would be a start;  “I just want to see how she is.”   Britt considers that she will be angry and sad – she will be unable to understand why they turned their her backs on her.

"I wasn't thinking straight"

He admits that he was not thinking straight;  “Everything had just happened with Yvonne.”

"I tried to tell you!"

Britt insists, “Colin, I tried to tell you, but you wouldn’t listen – so don’t get upset now!”   With that, she storms out of the Deri, 

Cheryl bings in two breakfasts

just as Cheryl comes in with two breakfasts for Siôn and Cai.  

“Two full Welsh – with an extra sausage each,” she announces, 

"The extra sausage is on the house"

“It’s on the house – the sell-by date is today and I hate wasting food.”   

"Just the thing to line the stomach"

Cai remarks that it is just the thing to line the stomach.

Siôn is eager to find out what they are doing today;  “I’ve booked a surprise,” Cai enigmatically answers, 

"We're going on a zip wire!"

“All right – we’re going on a zip wire!”   This horrifies Siôn, who immediately rejects the idea, but Cai maintains that they will have fun.

"My friend was dangling there for twenty minutes"

Cheryl hopes that they have better luck than her friend, who got stuck halfway down;  “She was just dangling there for twenty minutes until someone rescued her – 

"That is not helpful"

“but I’m sure it was a one-off.”

"I'm going nowhere near any zip-wire!"

Siôn is now quite adamant that he is going nowhere near any zip-wire.

Colin is searching for something . . .

Colin arrives back at number 21 and is obviously searching for something;  after looking in a few drawers, 

. . . and eventually finds it . . .

he locates the paper he is looking for, 

. . . the fostering letter 

the confirmation of their fostering application.   

He takes out his phone 

He looks very thoughtful and then takes out his phone.

Sioned is having an ultrasound scan

In the hospital an ultrasound scan is being carried out and DJ is eager to learn the result;  

"Everything appears to be fine"

the nurse tells him that everything appears to be fine and confirms that this is the first scan.

"Are you sure?"

Sioned thinks that she can detect some hesitation from the nurse, but is assured that there is no problem;  

"The spotting is quite normal . . ."

“The spotting is quite natural during the early stage – the pain is usually a sign that your body is changing – stretching.   

"The heartbeat of both babies"

“The heartbeat of both babies is very strong.”

"Two?"

“Two?” demands Sioned, and it is confirmed that she is expecting twins.   

She looks up at DJ

She looks up with horror at DJ.

"Sorry, Siôn, I forgot"

At Y Felin, Siôn is looking very anxious as Cai comes downstairs, apologising that he forgot that Siôn was scared of heights.   

"You're overreacting, Siôn"

Now Siôn is of the opinion that they should throw away that ‘bucket list’, but is accused of overreacting.

"We can find something else to do"

“We can find something else to do,” suggests Cai and Siôn proposes that he could crack on with his novel.   Cai is sure that they can find something a bit more exciting than the book;  

"Nothing that takes my feet off the ground!"

“All right – but nothing that takes my feet off the ground!” Siôn insists.

“Look, I know you’re doing this in memory of Gwen, but I want us to have fun as well, after the last year.”

"Improving public speaking skills"

Siôn would rather start with something less adventurous;  he goes to consult the list and picks out number five;  “Improving public speaking skills.”   

"You used to be leader at Bethania"

Cai maintains that will not be much of a challenge, as he used to be the leader at Bethania.   “There are different types of public,” 

"I'm going to book the Deri for a night"

he is informed, “I’m going to phone Cassie and book the Deri for a night.”

Cai wonders what he intends to do, 

"We'll see"

and Siôn is not sure yet, but they will see.

Eileen is washing up

At Penrhewl, Eileen is doing the washing-up and looking rather grim when Sioned comes home, followed by DJ.   

"Is everything all right?"

“Is everything all right?” she asks her daughter, “Why didn’t you phone to say what had happened – instead of me having to find out from Ffion?”

"I'm surprised you didn't phone DJ"

“I’m surprised you didn’t phone DJ to find out what was going on!” Sioned snarls, “I know you told him everything and I know you sent him to the hospital after talking to Ffion.”

"Now that we have two on the way"

DJ is quite sure that Eileen did the right thing;  “You can’t avoid me for ever – now that we have two on the way.”   

Eileen is not often rendered speechless

This comes as something of a shock to Eileen, who, for once, cannot think of anything to say.

Britt serves Madge's husband . . . 

Madge and her husband are having a meal in MFC when Colin comes in;  

. . .with their chicken dinner

“Don’t be angry with me, right?” he begins 

"What have you done now?"

and she wonders what he has done now.   

"I said we're ready to have Kylie back"

“I phoned the agency and said that we’re ready to have Kylie back – they’re starting the arrangements pronto!”

Britt is not very sure about this, but he thought that she would be happy.  

"I don't want to mess Kylie about"

“Colin, the week before last, you didn’t want her to stay – I don’t want to mess Kylie about, telling her one minute that she’s welcome and the next minute kicking her out!”

"I wasn't feeling special at the time"

He points out that he was not feeling special at the time, 

"What about Yvonne?"

and Britt demands whether he is in a better place now.   “What about Yvonne?”   

"I have to forget about her and move on"

He regrets that he has to forget about Yvonne now and move on.

"I had intended to tell you"

Over a cup of tea at the farmhouse, Sioned says that she intended to tell her mother, as she knows that twins are a sensitive subject in the family.   

"It's wonderful news"

Eileen thinks that it is wonderful news and is very happy for them.

"I'm in shock"

Sioned confesses that she is in shock;  “Imagine finding out by pushing them out!” says Eileen, “I’ll never forget the look on your Dad’s face, holding the two of you for the first time – as if it were yesterday.   Two handfuls – and our lives had changed, just like that.   You’ll find out for yourselves before long – and you’ll have to support each other more than ever.”

DJ is sitting, listening

DJ has been sitting silently, listening to them;  

"I think it's time for you two to talk"

then Eileen gets up and leaves the room, commenting, “I think it’s time for you two to talk, isn’t it?”

Neither of them says anything

They do not appear to be in the mood for talking at the moment.

Gaynor looks at the card

Gaynor looks at the card bearing Tom’s phone number as she stands by the bar in the Deri and Cassie brings her a coffee.   

"What are you going to do?"

“What are you going to do?” she asks and Gaynor casually replies that she will probably throw it in the bin.

“Don’t be silly – that Tom is a good catch!” exclaims Cassie.   

"Who's this Tom?"

Cheryl is nearby and wants to know who this Tom is.

"Someone I will never see again"

“Just someone I was talking to last night and will never see again,” groans Gaynor, but Cassie points out that he gave her his phone number.

Gaynor maintains that he probably gives that to everyone;  “Not everyone is like Hywel Llywelyn!” snaps Cassie.

"Strike while the iron's hot"

Cheryl’s advice is, “Phone him – strike while the iron’s hot!”   Cassie suggests that she should text him and ask when he is down south next, 

"I just want to forget him"

but Gaynor says that she just wants to forget him.

Cheryl warns that she will be single for ever;  

"That's fine by me"

“That’s fine by me.”   Cheryl grabs the card, but it is wrested from her grasp;  

She does not want to be parted from that card

“Don’t you dare!” says Gaynor and leaves the Deri.   

"Someone's touchy!"

Cheryl remarks that someone is touchy.

"Two coffees, please"

Colin and Britt come in for a coffee;  “Listen, if things get too much for you, Colin, you tell me straight, OK?” she urges him and he assures her that she will be the first to know.   

"We need to sort out the shopping list"

First they need to sort out the shopping list, so they have everything which Kylie likes in the house when she arrives.

"Why did you do it?"

DJ and Sioned sit silently at Penrhewl until he asks, “Why did you do it?”   Sioned does not know the answer to that.   

"Are you a lesbian, then?"

“Are you a lesbian, then?” he continues, “Or bi – or bi-curious – or whatever?”   Sioned thought that they were discussing babies, but he just demands that she answer the question.

"No, I'm not!"

She replies that she is not;  

"So you're not gay and you're not bi?"

“So you’re telling me you’re not gay and you’re not bi?”   Sioned cannot explain it, pointing out that it just happened – one kiss and that was it.   

"Was it just one kiss?"

“Was it just one kiss?” he demands.   

"One or two"

She says that she does not remember whether it was one or two.

"You must remember the first time"

“You must remember the first time,” he maintains 

"Christmas Day"

and she confirms that it was on Christmas Day.   

"Just before you asked me to try for another baby"


“Just before you asked me to try for another baby,” he comments.

"We both decided"

Sioned points out that they both decided to try for another baby, but he clearly recalls that she suggested it.   “Why did you ask such a thing after being with her?   

"Were you feeling guilty?"

“Were you feeling guilty?   Did you regret it?”   

She says she does not know the answer to any of this, but he is not convinced.   “I wasn’t happy – things haven’t been great between us, have they?” she snarls.   He is surprised that she thought having children would sort things out.   

"The truth is we've got two babies on the way"

“It doesn’t matter what I thought, DJ – because the truth is we’ve got two babies on the way!” she stresses, “And if you can’t forget about Maya, the kiss, everything – you might as well walk out now!”

"I think we've gone a bit overboard"

After their shopping trip, Britt thinks that they may have gone a little bit overboard.   

"There's never enough popcorn, biscuits and chocolate"

“There’s never enough popcorn, biscuits and chocolate,” Colin insists, “And, as we know, Kylie loves them.”   

"She'll need something healthy as well"

It is pointed out that she will need something healthy to eat as well;  

"We'll get the fruit and veg next week"

“Yes, we’ll get the fruit and veg next week, when she’s here.”

"You won't go back on your word, will you?"

“Col, you’re not going to go back on your word now, are you?” Britt asks and he confirms that he will not.  

“Yvonne doesn’t give a damn about me – or she would have been in touch by now,” he concludes and Britt says that he did not deserve that.   

"Not while Kylie needs us"

“I’m not going to waste another ten years of my life worrying about her not while Kylie needs us,” he declares.   He appears to be looking forward to a new chapter of his life.

"So is he hot?"

At Llwyncelyn, Cheryl interrogates Gaynor;  “So is he hot?”   

"I've seen worse"

Gaynor says that she has seen worse, so is urged to phone him and see where things go.

"It will probably go nowhere"

“No, he lives up north, so it would probably go nowhere.”   Cheryl insists that people can do long distance, but Gaynor does not know if she can be bothered with it.   “With Hywel and Esther living under the same roof, I can’t start seeing someone.”   

"Contact him!"

She is accused of making excuses;  “If he gave you a little flutter, contact him!”   

"Here you are!"

Cheryl hands Gaynor her phone, 

Gaynor is hesitant 

but she still appears not to be convinced.

"Why did you stay with me?"

Sioned is asked, “Why did you stay with me if you weren’t happy?”   

"I wasn't going to give up"

She replies that she was not going to give up just because they were going through a rough patch.   “Do you want to give up now?” DJ enquires and there is a knock at the door, which he will answer.

Sioned hears Maya's voice

It is Maya, who receives a frosty welcome;  “I want to check that Sioned is OK.”   Sioned instructs him to let her in.   

"I was worried there might be something wrong"

Maya was worried that there might be something wrong;  

"There has been a lot to take in"

Sioned apologises for not phoning, but there has been a lot to take in.

DJ grabs his coat

DJ picks up his coat and is about to leave when Maya tells him to stop;  

"You won't be seeing me around here any more"

“Don’t worry – you won’t be seeing me around here any more.   I’m heading back to Liverpool – I’m going to try and sort my head out.”

"Good idea!"

DJ considers that a good idea.   As Maya did not say goodbye the last time, she thought she had better do so this time round.   

"I really am happy for you, Sioned . . ."

“I really am happy for you, Sioned – 

". . .  you're going to be an amazing mother!"

“you’re going to be an amazing mother.”

Maya leaves them . . .

She leaves the house 

. . . and Sioned is in tears

and Sioned is in tears.   DJ looks reproachfully at her;  

"There were no tears in your eyes when I left"

“I’m sure there were no tears in your eyes when I left,” he snarls.

"Wa that the first time or the second?"

“The first time or the second time?” she shouts, “Jealousy is an ugly thing, DJ!”   

"It's not jealousy, but love"

He insists that it is not jealousy, but love.

"You need to let it go!"

“Whatever it is, you need to let it go – for all our sakes!” is her angry response.   

"And what if I can't?"

He asks what happens if he cannot let it go;  

"There's no other option"

“There’s no other option,” Sioned answers.

"You could get rid of them!"

“You have got one option – you could get rid of them!” he growls.

"Go!"

Sioned is completely aghast at this and orders him, “Go!”   He does so, slamming the door behind him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment