10 September 2026

9 September 2026

Sioned gazes wistfully from the window

As she does the washing up, Sioned is staring out of the window;  

Mathew will go and talk to her mother

Mathew volunteers, “How about if I go and talk to your mother?”   She does not think that there is much point, as if she will not talk to Sioned, there is no reason why she will talk to him.   He maintains that there is no harm in trying.

"There's no point"

“Do what you like, but I’m telling you now, there is no point.   Mam doesn’t think that Dad’s signature on the will is enough.”

"That proves nothing, Kel"

In the kitchen of number 7, Rhys is trying to reason with Kelly, “The fact that you saw them in the Glyndwr proves nothing.”   

"They were hugging"

She informs him that they were hugging and looked really close, then is not happy when she looks up to see him laughing.

"Since when does that mean it's an affair?"

“Since when does cwtching a friend mean it’s an affair?” he demands.

"You didn't see them –OK?"

“You didn’t see them – OK?   You think I’m imagining it all, I suppose.”   What he does suggest is that she needs to speak to them and get an explanation.   

"Can't you just be supportive?"

She moans, “Can’t you just be supportive, instead of dismissing my feelings all the time?”

"Sorry you feel like that"

He is sorry that she feels like that, 

"Now you sound really disingenuous"

but Kelly simply sneers, “Now you sound really disingenuous!”   

"I'm going to work"

He tells her to do what she thinks is best and now is leaving for work.

Lleucu is all prepared to leave

Lleucu has finished packing her large rucksack and thinks that she has remembered everything.   Iolo comes to the conclusion that she is ready to go, 

"I have to get some chocolate for Twm"

but she would like to stop at the shop on the way, as she has promised Twm she will buy some chocolate.

“Don’t they sell chocolate in Singapore?” Iolo asks, 

"I want him to have his favourite"

but she wants him to have his favourite.   

Iolo is wearing his 'date' shirt

She notices that Iolo is wearing a shirt for his date and tells him that he looks great.

“I’m going to miss you,” he admits;  

She leaves

now they are ready to leave.

Rhys is sitting miserably

Rhys is sitting on the bench by the alley when Mathew passes;  he is carrying something which he hopes will put a smile on Sioned’s face.

"Women – are they worth it?"

Rhys groans, “Women – are they worth it?”   Mathew sits down and asks him what has happened.   

"I can't do anything right these days"

“That’s the thing – I’m not sure what I’ve done wrong – I can’t do anything right these days.”

"Have you tried talking to her?"

“Have you tried talking to her about it?” Mathew enquires, but Rhys does not want the aggro, to be honest.

Rhys is not optimistic

“The thing is, I understand that she’s going through a lot with Anita, but she takes everything out on me – I’m not sure if things will improve.”   

"I'm sure things will get better"

Mathew is sure that they will.

“I wish she’d put half as much effort into our relationship as she does everything else – if she did that, we’d be fine.”

Mathew appreciates that every relationship is hard and Rhys is the only one who knows whether Kelly is worth it;  

"Good luck, boy!"

“From what I can see, you suit each other really well – good luck, boy!”

Mathew goes to see Eileen 

Eileen is making herself a cup of tea when Mathew walks in;  

"Sioned's sent her servant over"

she sneers, “Sioned’s sent her servant over, has she?”   He replies that is not true, but he just wants a sensible chat with her.   She is adamant that there is no more to say.

"The will changes nothing"

“I’ve told Sioned that the will changes nothing – there’s no witness signature, no solicitors stamp – it’s just a piece of paper.”

"I want to show you something"

Mathew wants to show her something;  “The house I’m going to build for Sioned.”   

"What has that got to do with me?"

She wonders what that has to do with her.   “The will,” he replies.

"It's not a will because it's not official"

“It’s not a will because it isn’t official!” she stresses.   

"I'm not here to argue . . ."

Mathew is quite aware of that and is not there to argue with her, 

". . . but I'd like you to see the plans"

but would just like her to see the plans.

Rhys is back at number 7

Rhys returns to number 7 in apologetic mood;  

"I'm not trying to say the wrong things"

“I’m not trying to say the wrong things,” he tells her and she knows that, 

"I'm not trying to go from zero to a hundred"

adding that she is not trying to go from zero to a hundred all the time and is sorry.

"I know you're worried about Anita"

“I know you’re worried about Anita,” he continues, 

"That's no excuse"

but she maintains that it is not an excuse for taking it out on him.   

He suggests a course of action

He suggests, “Can we try not to let things outside our relationship affect our relationship?”

Ieuan notices the flowers

She agrees, then Ieuan comes downstairs and notices the flowers on the table;  

"For one of Auntie Neet's carers"

Kelly explains that one of Auntie Anita’s carers is having a birthday.   “You don’t have any spare flowers, do you?” he asks, 

"I know a special lady who deserves a bunch"

“I happen to know a special lady who deserves a bunch of flowers.”   

Kelly agrees that she does have enough flowers to make up a second bunch.   When he goes back upstairs, 

"See – he wants to give them to Anita"

Rhys tells her, “See – he wants to give Anita some flowers.”

"Sioned wants to build a happy home . . ."

At the shop flat, Mathew is explaining, “The only thing Sioned wants to do for the twins is to build them a happy home – 

". . . like you and Denzil gave her"

“the type of home you and Denzil gave her in Penrhewl.”

“At the start, perhaps,” Eileen interrupts.

"It's a lot for Sioned . . ."

Mathew continues, “Leaving Penrhewl, leaving that connection with her father is a lot for Sioned – and you know that.   She’s never got over the fact that she and her father quarrelled just before he died – 

". . . but now she has proof"

“but now she has proof that he still thought the world of her and wanted her to have a future.”

"If he really wanted to . . ."

Eileen argues, “If he really wanted that, he would have,” 

"He didn't have the chance"

but Mathew reminds her that he did not have the chance to make it official.

“I’m not asking you to give Sioned the whole lot – I just want you to give her what’s left of Denzil’s money.   

"Look, you can't tell me . . ."

“Look, you can’t tell me that he wouldn’t want his only daughter – and his grandchildren – to live in this happy home,” as he shows her the plan.

"You talk as if you knew Denz"

“You talk as if you knew Denz,” she snarls.

"Am I wrong, Eileen?"

“Am I wrong?” he wonders;  Eileen shakes her head.

Lleucu looks at a magazine

Lleucu is in the shop, looking at a magazine;  Iolo treats her to that and the chocolate for Twm.   

"Off on holiday, are you?"

Kelly is also there, assuming that Lleucu is off on holiday;  she asks, “Have you any room in your suitcase?   

"Why would you want to leave all this behind`/'

“I mean, why would you want to leave all this behind?”

Kelly espies Ieuan and hurriedly leaves

Then she notices Ieuan coming out of number 7, carrying the flowers, so she quickly leaves the shop.   

"Is she all right, Iolo?"

Lleucu gets the impression that something is wrong.

Ieuan walks along the street

Ieuan strides off down the street past the postbox, 

Rhys creeps up behind Kelly

while Kelly is walking past the alley, when Rhys creeps up behind her, something which Kelly does not appreciate.   

"Don't creep upon me like that!"

“Rhys, man – don’t creep up on me like that!” she shouts, 

Ieuan is heading for the Deri

while watching Ieuan go into the Deri.

"He's gone to the Deri with the flowers"

“Right, Ieuan’s gone into the Deri with the flowers.”   

"Hang on, Kelly!"

Rhys tries to stop her there, but she will not be silenced.   “I know you think I’m being paranoid, but I can’t let this go!”   She marches off in the direction of the Deri.

Ieuan sits down at a table

Ieuan sits down at a table and Kelly follows him in, asking for a coffee from Simon, the barman.   

"Diane will be here any second"

Ieuan says that she has done a good job with flowers, but she replies that they should be in water.   “I’ll be giving them to Diane any second now,” he tells her.

"I thought they were for Auntie Neet"

Kelly takes this as confirming her suspicions;  “OK, Diane?   I thought they were for Auntie Neet.”   

"You've misunderstood"

When he says that she has misunderstood, 

"What else have I misunderstood?"

she wonders what else she has misunderstood.

"Dai's too stubborn to phone me"

Diane arrives, apologising for being late, as she was at Brynawelon;  “Siwsi said that Dai needed more clothes – but he’s too stubborn to phone me himself.”

"I wonder why?"

“I wonder why? ”mutters Kelly, “I really want the truth, please – 

"Is something going on between you two?"

“is there something going on between you two?”   

They look at each other

They look incredulously at each other.

'I think Eileen is going to consider it"

Mathew informs Sioned he thinks that Eileen is going to consider it;  

"How will 'considering it' help us?"

“How will ‘considering it’ help us?” Sioned demands;  he urges her to have some patience, as it is a lot for everyone to process.   He begs her to trust him.

"We can't live in number 10 for ever"

“We can’t live in number 10 for ever – we just can’t!” Sioned exclaims.

Eileen arrives

At that moment, her mother arrives, hoping that she is not interrupting, and wanting to discuss a few things.

"We are not having an affair!"

Diane makes it clear, “I don’t know what you think you saw, Kelly, but Ieuan and I are not having an affair.   We are friends who have supported each other through a difficult time.”

"I'm not stupid!" — But you are way off the mark this time!

Of course, Kelly will not accept this;  “I’m not stupid –
and Auntie Neet’s birthday party of all things?   

"I saw you in the Glyndwr"

I saw you in the Glyndwr!   I knew you were lying about the dirty weekend kit!”

"You followed me to the hotel?"

Ieuan is outraged that she followed him to the hotel;  

"Thank God I did!"

“And thank God I did, or you’d still be deceiving us all!”   

"There was a 'situation'!"

He tries to explain that there was a ‘situation’, but is reluctant to say more, which only adds to Kelly’s anger.

"Have you thought about Auntie Neet?

“Oh, good grief – have you thought about Auntie Neet and what she’s going through?   If you can’t explain what’s going on, I don’t want to hear another word!”

"Why didn't you tell her?"

With that she storms out of the Deri, while Diane demands why Ieuan did not tell her the truth in the first place.   

"What I've been doing isn't normal"

“I can’t, Diane – she wouldn’t understand – what I’ve been doing isn’t normal.   I don’t want her questioning how much I love Anita.”

"You'd prefer her to think we're having an affair?"

“So you would prefer her to think we’re having an affair?” Diane rages.   

"I'll think of something else"

He is sure that he can think of another explanation, but Diane is not as confident.

"I know it came as a shock to you"

As they sit around the kitchen table at Penrhewl, Sioned can appreciate that the news came as a shock to her mother yesterday.   

"I don't want is to fall out"

“It was a shock for us as well – but we are glad that you’ve decided to come and see us.   I don’t want us to fall out.”

"Denz would want to support you"

Eileen has considered what Mathew said and she agrees;  “Denz would want to support you with your plans for this new house.   So I hope this will help you to have a fresh start now.”

She hands over a cheque for . . . 

She hands Sioned an envelope;  

. . . "£250?"

she is all smiles until she opens the envelope and finds a cheque for £250;  

"Where's the rest?"

“Where’s the rest?”

"You could put it towards an architect"

Eileen thought she could put it towards an architect, 

"Is that how much you think I deserve?"

but Sioned protests, “£250?   That’s how much you think I deserve from Dad’s share?”

Eileen answers that they said they needed help to get the plans moving;  

"If you don't want the money . . ."

“If you don’t want the money . . .”

"And I'm going to get it, Mam!"

Sioned shouts, “I want what I deserve – and I’m going to get it, Mam!   If you don’t think we can sort this out between us, 

"I'll have to contact my solicitor"

“I’ll have to contact my solicitor.”

"There's no need for that!"

Eileen insists that there is no need for that and assure that they can reach some kind of arrangement.   “It’s up to you, Mam, but I deserve more than this!”

Kelly is convinced that she is right

Kelly arrives at number 21, carrying a bag;  “I was right – they're having an affair,” she informs Rhys, “Can I stay here, please?”   

"It has been hard for them as well"


He cannot believe that they are having an affair and knows what they are doing is wrong, but emphasises that it has been hard for them as well.

"You're unbelievable!"

“You’re unbelievable!” squeals Kelly, so he explains what he meant was that it is hard for Ieuan listening to Anita go on about Meic all the time.   

"You can hardly blame him"

She can hardly blame him for wanting some comfort.

"Why can't you back me up for once?"

“Why can’t you back me up for once?” demands Kelly, then there is a knock at the door;   

"He's probably lonely"

Rhys points out that Ieuan is probably lonely.

"I want you to listen for once in your life"

“If Kelly is here, I want a word with her,” says Ieuan and is allowed inside.   “I want you to listen for once in your life,” he tells her. 

"There's no rush . . ."


Mathew is doing some research and it is not clear whether they should contact their solicitor or Denzil’s solicitor.   Sioned points out that there is no rush;  

". . . I don't intend to go to a solicitor . . ."

“I don’t intend to go to a solicitor.   Mam doesn’t want any interference – whatever she says about the will – that it isn’t official – that there’s no signature, it’s risky for her to have a solicitor go through everything.   

". . . I don't want to throw away money we don't have"

“I don’t want us throwing away money that we don’t have on a solicitor – all we’re doing is asking Mam for more money.   If we did decide to go to a solicitor, there’s a danger she’d have to give us a lot more and she knows that.”

Mathew seems rather uneasy

Mathew still appears rather uneasy

"There's nothing going on . . ."

Ieuan forcibly points out to Kelly, “There’s nothing going on between me and Diane – 

". . . I'd never do that to Anita"


“I’d never do that to Anita!”

"A leopard never changes his spots"

Her answer to that is, “A leopard never changes his spots!” 

"You're like a broken record"

and Ieuan accuses her of being like a broken record and upsetting Diane like that.

"I thought you said they'd admitted it"

Rhys pipes up, “I thought you said they had admitted it.”

"Admitted what?"

“Admitted what?   There’s no affair.   I don’t want an affair.   I just want my wife back – and that’s why I spend every second thinking about her!”

"What were ytou doing on the Glyndwr with Diane, then?"

“What were you doing in the Glyndwr with Diane, then?” asks Kelly and he stumbles to think of a plausible explanation.   

"You were in a hotel room with Diane?"

She suggests, “How about ‘I was in a hotel room with Diane’?”

Rhys wants Ieuan to be given a chance to speak.   

"Move the party to the Glyndwr"

“I just thought it would be nice to move Anita's birthday party to the Glyndwr and I wanted Diane’s opinion,.” he says.

"Pull the other one!"

However, this only makes Kelly laugh, “Please, pull the other one!”

"Diane cwtched me as a friend"

He continues, “I thought it would be good because that’s where our relationship started – while I was there, I was overwhelmed and Diane  cwtched me, as a friend, Kelly.”

"And that's the best excuse you've got?"

“And that’s the best excuse you've got?   I want to believe you, but nothing you say makes sense, does it?   It’s too convenient – the dirty weekend package, then I see you and Diane in a hotel.   

"I don't want you anywhere near Brynawelon!"

“Something is going on and until you give me a better explanation, I don’t want you anywhere near Brynawelon!”

"You can't do that!"

He cannot believe this;  “You can’t do that!”

"Tell the truth, then!"

“Tell the truth  – say it!   Something's going on between you and Diane!”

In exasperation, he says that it is complicated;  

"We weren't in the Glyndwr top have an affair"

“The only thing you need to know is that we weren’t at the Glyndwr to have an affair that day.”

"Get out!"

She is not willing to listen to any more, but orders him to get out;  “I meant what I said about Brynawelon – 

"I don't want you anywhere near Auntie Neet!"

“I don’t want you anywhere near Auntie Neet!”

Rhys tries to intervene

Rhys protests at this, but Ieuan agrees that he will go and walks out of the house.   “You’re not really going to stop . . ?”

"You're not taking his side now, are you/'

“You’re not seriously taking his side now, are you?” snarls Kelly and he answers that he is not taking anyone's side.   

"I don't want to hear it, Rhys!"

She simply screams, “I don’t want to hear it, Rhys!” and disappears up the stairs.

What's the point?"

He mutters to himself, “What’s the point?”

On location in Istanbul

Amid some Turkish sounds, Lleucu enters a room and looks around her;  she takes off her rucksack 

Plastic surgery leaflet

and finds a leaflet on the bed, ‘Your guide to the best plastic surgery procedures in Istanbul’.   

She looks critically at her nose

She looks at it and then at her nose.

No comments: