04 September 2026

2 September 2026

Iolo is unpacking

They have reached their holiday village and Iolo is unpacking.   Dani looks into the bedroom and exclaims, “What’s she doing here?   Did you invite her?”

Eileen is approaching

They can see Eileen approaching;  

"The cavalry have arrived"

as she walks in, she announces, “The cavalry have arrived!”   

"This is a surprise"

Iolo tells her that this is a surprise;  

"A nice one, I hope"

“A nice surprise, I hope,” she replies 

"How did you know we were coming"

and he wonders how she knew they were coming.

"Your Dad persuaded Huwi and me"

“Your Dad persuaded Huwi and me to come – it would be a shame for the spare room to go to waste.”   

"He's brought his trombone?"

Dani notices, with some dismay, that Huwi has brought his trombone with him.

"What do we want from the takeaway?"

Iolo enquires what they would like from the takeaway, 

Eileen is going to make cottage pie

so Eileen exclaims, “Takeaway?   We don’t want to faff with a takeaway – I’m going to make a cottage pie and fresh vegetables – we can all peel the potatoes just like Llangrannog, back in the day.”   

They are not looking forward to it

Iolo and Dani are not relishing this holiday, 

Huwi-John smirks at them
while Huwi stands there, smirking at them.

Ieuan has a box

Ieuan comes into number 7, carrying a box, 

He looks quite pleased with is . . .

which he opens, but when he hears Rhys coming, 

. . . but hides it under the table . . .

he puts it under the table 

. . . then leaves for APD

and leaves for work.   

Rhys leaves a bar of chocolate for Kelly . . .

Rhys takes something from his pocket and put it down on the table, then calls upstairs to Kelly, “I’m off, right?   I’ve left you a present on the table.”

. . . upon which she puts her laundry basket

She comes downstairs, carrying a loaded laundry basket, but unfortunately puts it down on the table on top of the present.   

She finds the box . . .

She is surprised she cannot see what Rhys was talking about, then of course notices the box under the table.

. . . and is mystified by its contents . . .

Opening it, she finds a mixture of various things, 

. . . assuming that they are for her

including a bottle, then naturally leaps to the conclusion that it is from Rhys.

Trombone 'music' is wafting around

At the holiday cottage, to the background of trombone ‘music’, dinner is being prepared.   Eileen finds fault with the way Dani is peeling the potatoes.   

"He likes playing that, doesn't he?"

Iolo comments, “Huwi-John enjoys playing the trombone, doesn’t he?” and Eileen replies that they are so proud of him.

"Is that how it's supposed to sound?"

Dani asks, cynically, “Is that how it’s supposed to sound?   Interesting!”

Hywel is also surprised

Then they hear Hywel’s voice;  he, too, is very surprised to find Eileen there.   She says that Iolo offered – which is news to Iolo.   

"Cottage pie for dinner"

Hywel is told that they are making cottage pie and vegetables for dinner.

Hywel has some work to do and asks Esther whether she wants to play with Greta and Gabriel, or with Huwi-John, 

Esther does not appear to be happy

but she does not look keen on either option.   He explains that she is disappointed there are not more children her age.   

"I've got some work to do"

Hywel explains that her has some work to do.

"So I have to look after his daughter?"

Dani is unimpressed;  “So Hywel gate-crashed my holiday for me to look after his daughter?” she complains to Iolo.

"It was a nice surprise"

Kelly comes into the brewery, looking very happy and thanks Rhys for the present;  “It was a nice surprise.”   

"I forgot I had it"

He tells her that he bought it in the shop and forgot that he had it.

“You bought all that stuff in the shop?” she demands and they realise that they are talking at cross purposes.   

"It's only chocolate"

When he mentions that it was chocolate, 

"I'm talking about the dirty weekend starter kit"

she squeals, “Chocolate?   I’m talking about the dirty weekend starter kit!”   He declares that is nothing to do with him.

"It's nothing to do with Ieuan"

“Well, it’s nothing to do with Ieuan,” she begins, then looks worried and describes the contents of the box.   “Rose petals., wine, scented candle, and eye mask – it obviously isn’t for Auntie . . . 

"Oh, my . . !"

“Oh my . . !”

"Perhaps he only wanted one thing"

Rhys suggest that perhaps he only wanted one of the items and they all came together, 

"He's been acting really weirdly"

but Kelly points out that he has been acting really weirdly.

“Of course he has – his wife has dementia!” says Rhys, 

"Kelly, please don't say anything"

“Kell, please don’t say anything, all right?   You’ll just embarrass him.”

"Buy something better than a bar of chocolate"

She agrees, but adds, “For your information, next time you want to buy me a surprise present, please buy something better than a bar of chocolate, yeah?”   

She kisses him

She kisses him.

Now it is time for party games

In a pub at the holiday village, they are playing party games;  

"Tom Jones?"

Eileen has a sticker on her forehead and is trying to guess whose name is on it.   “I’m a man, I’m Welsh and I’m over 60?   Tom Jones!”

"Incorrect"

Iolo says that she is incorrect and is now out of the game;  she removes the sticker 

"I thought they had to be famous people"

and protests that she thought they had to be famous people.   

"No, they could be anyone"

“No, we said they could be anyone,” Dani tells her.

"I had hoped to escape from Dai!"

Iolo complains that he had hoped to escape from Dai on this trip and she apologises.   

"Come on, then  what happened?"

This sets Eileen off;  “I heard that he said some silly things at ‘Cwmfest’ – come on, then, what happened?”

"Why are we in a pub?"

Dani immediately changes the subject;  “Why are we in a pub?   Hywel has loads of wine – shall we go back?”   

They return to the cottage . . .

They all agree.

. . . where Hywel detects that the pie is almost done

When they arrive back at the holiday cottage, Hywel has finished the work he was doing and can smell that the pie is nearly done.   Eileen is still pumping Iolo for information about exactly what Dai said.   Hywel agrees that it is not worth repeating.

Iolo reminds him, “Dai apologised, so it’s all over.”

"`He made fun of Iolo because he's gay"

In order to shut Eileen up, Dani tells her, “He made fun of Iolo because he’s gay, OK?” but this does not serve to shut Eileen up, 

"I don't think of him as a gay person . . ."


because she continues to stress that she does not think of him as a gay person.

". . . he doesn't make a big show of it"

“I mean, I know you are gay, but you don’t make a big show of it like some of them, do you?”   In the background, the strident notes of the trombone strike up again;  

Iolo is fed up with this

Dani and Iolo look at each other.

"I've just seen Dai at Brynawelon . . ."

Diane opens the door of Bryntirion and finds Kelly there;  “I’ve just seen Dai at Brynawelon 

". . . and  thought I'd get your side of the story"

“and I thought I’d get your side of the story.”   Diane simply asks how Anita was today.   “A bit groggy, you know, but OK.   So is Dai still angry about the interview?   He wouldn’t tell me much.”

"Dai is angry with everyone and everything"

Diane groans, “Dai is angry with everyone and everything these days.   Anita’s birthday is next week.”

"A tea party in the house"

Kelly assures her it has all been worked out;  “A tea party in the house – jelly and ice cream – the Hokey Cokey, of all things – Ieuan’s idea.”

"There's something else on your mind`'

Diane can see that there is something else on Kelly’s mind;  

"Ieuan has been acting a bit weird"

“Ieuan has been acting a bit weird.   I found a parcel, yeah, with romantic stuff – Rose petals, a candle, the works.    

"Could be be having an affair?"

Do you think Ieuan could be, you know, having an affair?”   

The thought horrifies Diane

Diane looks horrified at the idea.

"I can't believe you didn't know him"

As they clear up after the meal, Eileen laughs, “I can’t believe you didn’t know who Dai Jones ‘Llanilar’ was.”  [S4C celebrity]  Dani has never heard of him, 

"Hello, it's me, Dai!"

so is told, “Cefn Gwlad – hello, it’s me, Dai!”   This means nothing to Dani.

"Is there more wine?"

Iolo has just finished off the bottle of wine and asks Hywel if he has more.   

"You only brought one bottle?"

Apparently, it is the only one, so Dani demands, “You only brought one bottle of wine for the four of us?”   

"You were responsible for the drinks"

Iolo insists that he was responsible for the drinks, 

"A nice bottle with dinner"

but Hywel maintains that he thought they were having a nice bottle with their dinner and was not expecting a big night.

Dani is becoming desperate

Dani grumbles to Iolo, “I can’t get through a night with those two without wine.”

"Why don't we go to get more wine?"

He suggests, “Why don’t Dani and I go to the pub to get more wine?”   

"You start without us"

Eileen points out that they are going to play Monopoly, so Iolo invites them to start.   He also refuses Hywel’s offer to come with them.

"You can't leave Eileen alone with the kids"

“You can’t leave Eileen alone with the kids, in case something happens,” says Dani.

"She didn't know who he is"

still cannot understand how Dani did not know who Dai Jones ‘Llanilar’ is.   Hywel is not relishing the prospect of being alone with her.

"Five bottles of red wine, please"

When Dani and Iolo arrive back at the bar, he asks for five bottles of red wine to go.   Dani adds that she wants two large wines;  “I’m not going back to the cottage without some Dutch courage, OK?”

Iolo is being watched

Someone is looking at Iolo from across the bar, as he admits that he feels a bit guilty;  “They’re older single parents with not many friends.”   

"I wonder why that is!"

Dani wonders why that is.

"We won't stay too long"

He appreciates that it must be difficult for them and suggests that after their drinks, they will not stay for too long.   

"There's some talent here . . ."

“Pity,” says Dani, “There’s some talent here.   

". . . her seriously smiled at you"

“He seriously just smiled at you.”

"I can't believe he's having an affair"

“I can’t believe Ieuan is having an affair, honestly,” says Diane and Kelly does not want to believe it either, 

"It's definitely suggestive"

but maintains that the box of stuff is definitely suggestive.   

"We don't know anything for a fact"

Diane points out that they do not know anything for a fact and emphasises that the last thing that Anita needs is for the two of them to turn on each other.

"You can tell me more about the Hokey Cokey"

“I’ll make a cup of tea and you can tell me more about the Hokey Cokey.”   

Kelly is concerned

Kelly is definitely worried.

"Go and say hello to your admirer"

As they leave the bar with their bottles, Dani encourages Iolo to go and say hello to his admirer.   She reminds him that he did it at ‘Cwmfest’ , 

"I'm out of practice"

but his excuse is that he was drunk;  “I’m out of practice at flirting while sober.   When do I tell him I have a child?   When do I tell him about Tyler?”

She makes it clear that he does not have to tell the truth, 

"Watch and learn!"

advising him, “Watch and learn!”   She confidently walks over to the stranger, with Iolo in tow, 

"My brother is a bit shy"

telling him in English, “My brother is a bit shy, but he’d like to buy you a drink.”

"I'm Viv and this is Vince"

Upon learning that he speaks Welsh, Dani introduces herself as Viv, “And this is my brother Vince – 

Her imagination is running away with her

“he’s the CEO of a Silicon Valley start-up and runs ultramarathons in his spare time.”

"Sorry about Viv"

Iolo apologises for her;  “Sorry about Viv – she’s useless with boundaries,”

"I'm Morgan, a teacher . . ."

He introduced himself as Morgan, a teacher;  he says he does not do much of anything in his spare time, to be honest, 

". . . can I buy you both a drink?"

and offers them both a drink.

Esther wins snakes and ladders

At the holiday cottage, the others are playing snakes and ladders, which Esther has just won.   

"Where's Dad?"

Greta asks, “Where’s Dad?” which Eileen regards as a very good question;  Hywel is sure that he will be back before long, but when he suggests another game of snakes and ladders, they are unanimously against this idea, so go off to amuse themselves.

"What sort of parents leave their children?"

“What sort of parents leave their children on their own before bedtime?” moans Eileen;  Hywel replies that they seem happy enough.   

"All they want to do is drink"

“But after cooking and bringing all these games, all those two want to do is drink.

"I do feel rather guilty"

Hywel admits that he does feel rather guilty;  “It’s like we’re hijacking their holiday.”   Eileen argues that there were spare rooms, but he continues, “I know that, but we’re older than them.”

"I expect to be treated with more respect"

“If someone invites me on holiday, I expect to be treated with more respect than this!” Eileen snarls, then tells the children that it is time for bed.

Dani is chatting up someone

While Dani appears to be chatting up someone else, Iolo is further embroidering his life story;  

"Five years in Australia"

“And I spent five years in Australia – just a company in Sydney.”   

"I have a cousin there"

Morgan wonders what company that was, as he has a cousin who does business in Sydney.

"David Ashurst Tech"

“David Ashurst Tech,” Iolo replies, “A company just outside Sydney.”   Morgan says that he has not even left Wales – except for a holiday in Spain, 

"Do you have any children?

then asks if Iolo – Vince – has any children.   

"Perhaps one day"

Iolo answers that he has not, but perhaps one day;  “How about you?”

Morgan is rather evasive, explaining that it is a long story and Iolo asks where he is staying tonight.   “I’m with a couple of friends, but they’ve all got children and they’re having a early night, 

"If you want to come over later?"

“so I’m on my own – if you want to come over for a drink later.”   Iolo would like that.

"I'm enjoying being Viv!"

When Morgan walks away, Dani comes straight back, telling Iolo that she is enjoying being Viv, “The billionaire tightrope walker – but now I have to put the kids to bed.”   

"I'd forgotten how late it was"

Iolo had forgotten how late it was, but she promises to sort Greta out for him, 

"Morgan is gorgeous"

insisting that he should stay, as Morgan is gorgeous.

 "I don't want to do that"

He is very reluctant to do that, so she suggests that he could put Greta to bed and then come back out.   He confesses that he has told Morgan that he does not have children, 

"Because I'm Vince"

“Because I’m Vince.   How is a tech genius supposed to raise a child and do ultramarathons?”

"Early start tomorrow"

When Morgan returns, he is told that Vince has to go now, because he has an early start tomorrow.   

"Nice meeting you"

Morgan is sorry to hear that, but they agree that it was nice to meet each other.

"The dirty weekend kit"

Kelly is back at number 7, but is unable to find the box;  “It’s not here,” she tells Rhys, “The dirty weekend kit.”

"I'd rather have a cwtch" — who wouldn't?

He cannot believe that she is worried about that, but would much rather have a cwtch on the sofa.   

"It was here this morning"

However, she insists, “It was here this morning and it’s not here now – it must be somewhere.”

Ieuan walks in

Very conveniently Ieuan walks in at that moment 

"There was a parcel here this morning"

and she asks, “There was a parcel here this morning – do you know where it is?   I obviously didn’t look at it – I just thought . . .”

He blames Royal Mail . . .

He quickly manufactures the reply that Mark delivered the wrong thing again and that he took it back to the depot, 

. . . then makes a hasty exit

then quickly escapes upstairs.   

"There you are"

Rhys maintains that solves the problem, but

Kelly is not taken in by this

Kelly obviously does not believe a word of that.

"Where are the children?"

Iolo and Dani return to the cottage with more wine and they wonder where the children are.   

"We put them to bed . . ."

“As their parents weren’t here, Hywel and I had to put them to bed,” moans Eileen.

Dani says that as it is only 8:30pm, they could have stayed up longer.   

". . . we didn't know when you would be back"

Eileen grumbles, “We didn’t know when you would be back.”

"She wants to control every aspect!"

Dani is in an argumentative mood;  “She wants to control every aspect of this holiday – with her potato peeling and awful cottage pie – and twenty blooming questions!”

Hywel tries to calm her down, but without success.   

"Iolo is just as gay as anyone else!"

She goes on, “So you know, Iolo is just as gay as anyone else in the world – in fact, there was a really nice guy in the pub, but he came home to put his daughter to bed, 

"Because he's a good father!"

“because he’s a good father!

"Iolo might as well go back out . . ."

“As you’ve put Greta to bed, he might as well go back out – 

". . . someone needs to enjoy themself!

“someone needs to enjoy themself!”

"If this is how you're going to be . . ."

Eileen responds, “If this is how you’re going to be, I’m going to bed.”   Dani is pleased to see the back of her.

Hywel gets a glass . . .

Hywel gets a glass from the cupboard and opens one of the bottles of wine, 

. . . buy which time . . . 

telling Esther, “Well, it’s just you and me now – the In-betweeners,” but, 

. . . Esther is asleep

when he turns around, he finds that Esther has fallen asleep.

Ieuan extracts the box from under the sink

Ieuan takes the box from the cupboard under the sink when no-one else is around, 

He smells the scented candle

puts it on the table and looks inside, taking a sniff of the scented candle.

Iolo cannot find Morgan

In the pub at the holiday village, Iolo looks around but cannot find Morgan.   

"Hiya, Vince"

He is about to walk away when a voice behind him says, “Hiya, Vince.   I thought you had an early start.”

"I thought I'd rather have a late night"

“Yeah, but then I thought I'd rather have a late night – if the offer is still there.”.

"Of course"

“Of course,” replies Morgan.

No comments: