| Lleucu is in tears |
Next morning, Lleucu is sitting tearfully on her bed when she hears Colin’s voice urging her to open the door; “Are you all right? Lleucs, open the door – I want to check that you’re all right.”
| She lets Colin in |
She lets him in.
| "What's wrong, love?" |
“What’s wrong, love?” he asks and she says that she is so sorry.
| "I was so angry with you" |
She cannot believe that she was so angry with him last night, after he came all that way to help her.
| "Don't worry about that now" |
He urges her not to worry about that now.
| "You think I'm a terrible person" |
“I haven’t slept a wink, worrying that you think I’m a terrible person.”
| "No – a young girl who's been influenced" |
He sighs that she is not a terrible person, but that she is just a young girl who has been influenced.
| "Influence has nothing to do with this" |
“Col, listen, please – influence has nothing to do with this – why doesn’t anyone understand?”
| "I'm trying to understand" |
He replies that he is trying to understand and that is why he is there, because he is worried about her. He begs her to talk to him, assuring her that she can trust him.
| "People look at my nose" |
“When people talk to me, they don’t look in my eyes – they try to hide it, but they look at my nose – and no contouring kit or nose strips or fringe is going to sort it out! The only thing I can do is change it – and that’s what I’m going to do.”
| Colin does not know what to say |
Colin is at a loss to know what to say to her; she goes on, “I’ve been thinking about what you said last night and you might be right. This place is a dump, it’s dirty – and they, the people at this company aren’t very nice
| "Perhaps I chose the wrong place" |
“Perhaps I made a mistake and chose the wrong place. This came under the door this morning, she says,
| She shows him a leaflet |
showing him a leaflet,
| "It has become £400 overnight" |
“The other £300 has become £400 overnight.”
| Colin is at a loss |
Colin does not know what to do about this.
| Sioned is complaining again |
At number 10, Mathew is attempting to unpack some of the boxes, but Sioned complains that if they do not find a ladder for the attic, all that stuff will have to live down there.
| "You should eat something, Sioned" |
He proposes that he should make a coffee for her and that she should eat something, but she insists that she does not want anything to eat. “There’s not room to move here anyway – this place is so grey and depressing.”
| "We cannot our own stamp on it" |
Mathew suggests that they can put their own stamp on it with new pictures, cushions, curtains.
| "Why can't we ask Melfa for money?" |
Sioned demands, “Why can’t we ask Melfa for money?” but he is once again implacably against that idea.
| "I don't want another penny of Taid's money!" |
“I’ve made it perfectly clear – I don’t want another penny of Taid’s money! Look, I know it was a huge step for you to leave Penrhewl, but, please, just try to be positive – if not for me, for the children, because at least we’re all here together, aren’t we?”
| "I'm just finding this difficult, that's all" |
Sioned acknowledges that he is right; “I’m sorry, I’m just finding this difficult, that’s all.
| "This box of a house" |
“I never thought I’d have to leave Penrhewl and move into a box of a house instead.”
| "Why don'y you go and see your mother?" |
“Why don’t you go and see your mother to see whether she’s changed her mind about things?” says Mathew, “It would be great if you can sort things out without going to court.”
| Sioned remains silent |
Sioned does not reply.
| "There's another clinic not too far from here" |
Back in Turkey, Lleucu has discovered that there is another clinic not too far from there; “It’s still cheaper than at home, but better – if only I can get our money back from here here somehow.”
| The phone signal is patchy |
Colin appears to be having considerable difficulty getting a phone signal; he answers,
| "My money, you mean!" |
“My money, you mean? There isn’t much chance of that, is there?”
Then he realises that his phone is working, so he can download the translation app.
| "You should discuss this with your parents" |
He assures Lleucu, “I’m trying to understand – I just think you should discuss this with your parents before having any sort of operation.”
| "Why? I'm 18!" |
“Why?” she demands, “I don’t need to – I’m 18.” He reminds her that she is still a child to them.
| "They're not like you" |
“No way – they won’t understand – they’re not like you.”
| "What – not stupid and easy to deceive?" |
“What – not stupid and easy to deceive?” he answers, but she maintains that she did not mean that. She promises that she is sorry for taking advantage of him, describing him as more of a friend to her than anyone, but nevertheless she is not going to change her mind.
| "I'm going to get my money back" |
She maintains that she is going to get her money back to spend it in another clinic.
| "Let me sort this out, Lleucu" |
Colin urges her to let him sort this out.
| "There's still so sign of Hywel" |
At number 21, Kelly remarked that there is still no sign of Hywel; “Good job Esther can walk to school on her own.”
| "Hello – earth to Rhys!" |
She realises that Rhys is not taking any notice at all, so adds, “Hello – earth to Rhys!”
“Hywel – a lie-in after the date of the century?
| "He might not be on his lonesome!" |
“Or perhaps, he might not be on his lonesome!”
| "I don't want to think about it . . ." |
Rhys does not want to think about it and she wonders why he is so hypersensitive.
| ". . . I don't want it it affect our dynamic" |
He says that he does not want it to affect their dynamic in Ceffyl Du.
| "I'm thinking of phoning a solicitor" |
“Anyway, I’m thinking of phoning a solicitor today to get advice on Diane’s power-of-attorney,” Kelly tells him, “It doesn’t make sense that she’s still in charge of decisions relating to Auntie Neet.”
| "You have no evidence, Kelly" |
Rhys reminds her that she has no evidence that Diane and Ieuan are having an affair,
| 'I need support" |
but she insists, “I need support, not a constant battle.”
| "Now who's being hypersensitive?" |
“Now who’s being hypersensitive?” he demands, but she is not interested in hearing his opinion.
| "No" |
Later there is a knock at Lleucu’s bedroom door; she asks Colin if they are going to get their money back or what. He replies, “No.”
“So I am going to be stuck with this nose for longer?” she wails.
| "Are you coming over this afternoon?" |
Siwsi arrives at number 21 and is sorry to disturb Hywel; “I just wanted to check if you’re still coming over this afternoon – everyone else is out, so don’t worry.
| "There might be some surprises" |
“There might be some surprises, too –
| Hywel is looking forward to it |
“does two o’clock still work for you?”
| "You should go and see your mother" |
At number 10, Sioned is taking things from a box, but Mathew encourages her to go and see her mother.
| "I want to finish this first" |
She insists that she wants to finish what she is doing first. “It would be better than staying here. getting angry,” he points out, but she argues that she is not getting angry.
| "How are you settling in?" |
Rhys drops in to see how they are settling in,
| Sioned admonishes him |
but she complains, “Landlords aren’t supposed to drop in without warning!” He will be sure to get in touch next time.
| "I need some fresh air . . ." |
“As you’re here, you can help Math – I need some fresh air,” says Sioned,
| ". . . I've had enough of this grey!" |
“I’ve had enough of this grey.”
| "She's just tired" |
Mathew makes the excuse that she is just tired,
| "I have one in similar mood" |
but Rhys sympathises, “I have one in similar mood.”
| "I thought things would have improved" |
Mathew thought things would have improved since last week,
| "I'm struggling to be in her company" |
but Rhys is just struggling to be in Kelly’s company at the moment. Mathew confirm that things are not any better there and offers Rhys a cup of tea.
| "Everything is tip-top here" |
Colin is on the phone; “Yes, everything is tiptop here – oh yes, sorry about that –
| "I fell asleep after the flight" |
“I fell asleep after the flight – terrible jetlag. But I’m fine now, just about.
| "Gaynor and Lois are cooking" |
“Gaynor and Lois are cooking – yes, I miss you too, love.”
| "I'm a bad person, aren't I . . ." |
Lleucu has been listening to this; she wails, “I’m a bad person, aren’t I –
| ". . . making you lie to your wife?" |
“for making you lie to your wife?”
| "That's the least of our problems" |
Colin considers that to be the least of their problems.
| "West will you say when you get back to Cwmderi?" |
“So what will you say when you get back to Cwmderi?” Lleucu asks him; he answers that he is not going back there but rather going on to Thailand.
| "If we het out pf this hole in one piece" |
He just hopes that no one is any of the wiser at home, “If we get out of this hole in one piece!”
| "We shall babe to pay the £400" |
Lleucu still insists that they will have to pay the extra £400,
| "No way!" |
but he is adamant, “No way! Those scoundrels aren’t seeing another penny! There’s a flight to Thailand tonight.”
Lleucu is scared that he is leaving her, but he replies, “And there is one to Singapore for you.
| "On one condition!" |
“I’ll pay for your ticket — on condition that you discuss this operation with your parents.”
| "I don't need permission!" |
Again, she argues that she is 18 and does not need permission, but he does not want to see her do something she will regret one day.
| "If you don't tell them, I will!" |
“And if you don’t tell them, I’ll tell them!
| "That's the deal, Lleucu" |
That’s the deal, Lleucu – I have just about enough money on this card to pay for two flights.”
| ""I don't want to take any more of your money" |
Lleucu does not want to take any more of his money, but he snarls, “It’s a bit late to start worrying about that now, isn’t it? Are you going to tell them?” Lleucu realises that she has no other option,
| "We can't leave without maying" |
but wonders how they will pay the bill for the hostel, as they cannot leave without paying.
| "Yes, we can" |
“Yes, we can,” Colin replies.
| "She's just obsessed" |
As they sit on the sofa at number 10, drinking tea, Rhys says, “She’s just obsessed with this business about Diane and Ieuan.”
| "I can't do anything right these days" |
Mathew cannot believe that there is anything going on, so he continues, “I don’t think so – and I can’t do anything right these days. Things are so awkward and now she’s staying with us – I don’t know how long.
| "It's a relief to of to work" |
“It’s a relief to go to work, to be honest – she’s just so angry all the time.”
| "I'm sure things will improve" |
Mathew is sure that things will improve, because Kelly is simply worried about Anita. “Leaving Penrhewl has been awkward for Sioned as well,” Rhys remarks.
| "What we need is a night off" |
“You have no idea!” groans Mathew. Rhys maintains that what they need is a night off – a chance to have a break from them.
| Sioned is back |
Mathew agrees that would be nice, but at that moment the door opens and Sioned returns.
| "I thought you were working" |
“I thought you were working!” she snarls, so it is pointed out that they have just stopped for a cup of tea.
| "I want to put shelves up" |
“I want to put shelves up in the kids’ room – have we got time?”
Mathew had been under the impression that she wanted to unpack first, but she insists that the children are always a priority.
| "Why don't you go out for a drink with Kelly?" |
Rhys makes the suggestion that she should go out for a drink with Kelly tonight, as she has been feeling stressed as well. “I’d love too, but there’s too much to sort out here,” is Sioned’s reply, “And one of the cupboards in the kitchen isn’t closing properly.”
| "I'll give the children a bath" |
Mathew has already told her that he will do that; “You go out tonight – Rhys is here to help. I’ll give the children a bath and settle them.”
Rhys echoes this; “Go on, Sions, it’s a chance for a night off – phone her.”
| Surprisingly, she agrees . . . |
She agrees to this, but must find something to wear first.
| . . . and they look very happy about it |
As she disappears upstairs, the two of them appear very happy.
| "Right, we've got ten minutes" |
In Istanbul, Colin tells Lleucu, “Right, OK, we’ve got ten minutes, all right?”
| "You won't go without me?" |
She is anxious that he will not go without her,
| "Of course I won't" |
and he emphasises that of course he will not.
At Y Felin, Siwsi is waiting for Hywel to come downstairs; she has been planning a new look for him,
| "I'm not sure about this" |
which he now demonstrates but is rather unconvinced about the colours. She assures him that shirt suits him –
| "I've got a jumper here" |
and she has a jumper that will be perfect with it.
| "A desperate old man?" |
“Don’t you think I look like a desperate old man?” he demands,
| "Women like a man who makes an effort |
but she assures him that women like a man who makes an effort.
| "How about this?' |
He does like the shoes and suggests that he could wear glasses, which he should really wear all the time.
| "Really sophisticated!" |
Siwsi describes him as really sophisticated.
He thanks her for her advice and cannot wait to see Rhys’ face. “His face was a picture last night – right?
“Keep those trousers on and I think this shirt,” as she selects one.
| Lleucu is prepared to 'do a runner' |
The receptionist at the ‘fleapit’ hostel is, as usual, totally absorbed in his phone as Lleucu creeps into view;
| "The taxi's here" |
Colin indicates to her that the taxi is there
| They scamper off . . . |
and they slip out
| . . . totally unnoticed |
without being noticed.
| "I'm so glad you texted" |
In the Deri, Sioned and Kelly appeared to be having a good time; “I’m so glad you texted,” says Kelly and Sioned in turn is glad that she replied,
| "I needed to get out of that house" |
as she really needed to get out of that house today.
| "Rhys was getting on my blinkin' nerves!" |
“Tell me about it – Rhys was getting on my blinkin’ nerves,” growls Kelly, “I’m not going to lie – things are very stressful –
| "We're just not on the same wavelength" |
“we’re just not on the same wavelength at the moment. I take it for granted that he’s going to, you know, back me up, but he wants to argue about everything. I can’t talk to him because there’s too much going on with Auntie Neet –
| "I don't know if I even want the conversation" |
“and I don’t even know if I want the conversation.”
| "Sometimes being honest is difficult" |
Sioned can understand that; “Sometimes being honest is the most difficult thing – especially when it’s eating you alive!”
| "Family politics" |
Kelly wonders what is eating her alive, and is told, “Family politics.”
| "Easier to keep things to yourself" |
She realises that it is sometimes easier to keep things to herself, especially if you are protecting him.
| "I don't think he'd understand" |
“Exactly – but that’s the thing I don’t think he’d understand,” Sioned sighs, so Kelly surmises that this is between her and her mother.
| "He doesn't need to know every word" |
“Well, it’s natural for you to have a conversations and reach agreements without Mathew knowing every word,” stresses Kelly, “Yeah, 100%! Honestly, Auntie Neet and I have secrets I would never tell anyone.”
| "That's made me feel a lot better" |
This has made Sioned feel a lot better
| "Cheers!" |
and they have a drink.
| Rhys is just leaving . . . |
Meanwhile, at number 10, Rhys is glad to have had an opportunity to get things off his chest, while Mathew hopes that the girls will come back in a better mood.
| . . . and Mathew returns to the boxes |
When Rhys has gone, Mathew looks in one of the boxes,
| He finds photographs . . . |
finding various photos of Sioned with her mother and one of herself as a baby with her twin.
| . . . but them something more interesting |
Then he finds something which puzzles him;
| Someone has been practising Denzil's signature |
a driving licence in the name of Sioned’s father, Denzil John Rees, together with a notebook, in which someone has been trying to copy his signature.
| He knows who – and why |
He comes to the sudden realisation of what has been happening here.
No comments:
Post a Comment