24 July 2026

23 July 2026

Ieuan ia drying a dressing gown

Ieuan is using a hairdryer to finish drying Anita’s dressing gown.   Kelly comes downstairs 

"The one we've picked isa fine!"

and exclaims, “Oh, for the love of God, Ieuan, the one we’ve packed is fine!”

"But this is Anita's favourite"

He insists that this one is Anita’s favourite,  

"Come on!"

but she instructs him, “We’re leaving now – come on!”   They leave the house.

Siôn comes into the deli

Siôn is passing the deli when he sees Megan inside and goes to speak to her, but first is congratulated by Kath, 

"Well, if it isn't John White"

“Well, if it isn’t John White – this breakfast is blooming lovely – 

"As lovely as what you did the other day"

“almost as lovely as what you did in here the other day to get a photo of our Mark on the front of the Western Post.”

"Don't mention it, Kath"

Siôn replies that there is no need to mention it and she continues to remind him, “I don’t like everything you do – but thanks for this – it means a lot.”   He says that Mark has been great.

"The true backbone of Cwmderi"

Kath points out, “This valley is very important to him – it says here Mark is the ‘true backbone of Cwmderi.”

"I have to speak to Megan"

Siôn makes his excuses to move across to Megan, who asks whether he would like a cup of tea.   

"I just want a word"

“I’m not staying, I just want a word.”   

"Is something wrong?"

She senses that something is wrong and he agrees, “Well, yes there is, to be honest – 

"I'm worried about Bethania"

“I’m worried about Bethania – the place is falling apart.”

"That's not news"

Megan remarks that is not news, but he goes on to say that it is getting a lot worse – and that it is in fact not safe for people to go in there, which comes as a surprise to her.   

"We could get prosecuted"

“Someone could get hurt and we could be prosecuted.”

Megan wonders where all this has come from, so Siôn adds, “Perhaps I shouldn’t repeat this, 

"Someone wants to buy the place"

“but I’ve heard rumours through the parish council that someone wants to buy the place.”

"But Bethania's not for sale"

She makes it very clear that Bethania is not for sale and he agrees with this, but maintains that they have a difficult decision to make;  

"We might have to spend thousands . . ."

either to spend thousands, or even millions, renewing the place, “Or, I’m afraid, to say, to sell it.”   

Megan is very worried

Megan finds this idea very upsetting.

A card is added to the presents

Diane places a card with the presents for Dai, 

Breakfast is cooking

then checks on the oven, where his breakfast is cooking.   

"Happy birthday, Dai!"

When he comes in, she wishes him  “Happy birthday, Dai!”

He had been under the impression that she had forgotten;  

"Since I scored two tries"

“I haven’t had this much fuss since I scored two tries to beat Llanarthur in a cup game.”

"You deserve to be spoiled

Diane tells him that he deserves to be spoiled after that fuss with Hywel yesterday 

It is a rugby-type card . . .

and instructs him to open the card first, which is rugby themed.

. . . containing something else

Inside it is notification that two nights in Cardiff have been booked;  

"Where we stayed on hat first rugby trip"

“In the hotel we stayed in on that first rugby trip we went on together – remember?   It was the Prince of Wales then, but it’s changed its name now – it has a spa now, too – and I’ve booked a show as well, about the sitcom you like.”

"What have I done to deserve you?"

Dai demands, “What have I done to deserve you?” 

She gives him a hug . . .

and she gives him a hug.   

. . . but he does not look entirely happy

However, he does not look entirely happy as the oven bleeps a warning that the sausages are ready

"She'll be confused in here . . ."

At Brynawelon, Ieuan is concerned that Anita will be confused in a new room;  “She needs things which are familiar, not change.”   

". . . and the place is falling apart"

As he is about to open a drawer, the knob comes off in his hand and he complains, “Look, the place is falling apart!”

"The staff have bigger fish to fry"

Kelly scolds him, “Do you know, I think the staff have bigger fish to fry than worrying about knobs.”   

"Trousers and pants don't go in the same drawer"

Then he finds fault with Kelly putting trousers and pants in the same drawer.

Diane comes in, surprised that Anita is not already there;  

"Shortage of ambulances, apparently"

“Shortage of ambulances apparently,” says Kelly and Ieuan hopes that is all it is.   Kelly exclaims, “She’ll be fine,” 

Anita comes in

and at that moment Anita is wheeled into the room, apparently happy to see them, 

"Isn't she looking pale?"

although Ieuan thinks that she is looking rather pale.   “Better then when she went in,” Kelly points out.

Ieuan is becoming rather fed up with this;  

"Are you going undermine everythingI say?"

“Are you going to undermine everything I say, or just most of it?” he snarls.

"Your continuous hissy fit . . ."

Now it is Kelly’s turn to take umbrage;  “I’m sorry – is my common sense interrupting your continuous hissy fit about the most trivial things?”

He insists that Anita’s health is far from trivial.   

"Obsessing over pants is!"

“I know that, but obsessing over her dressing gown and where her pants live is!”   

"Why don't you two go and have a cup of tea?"

Diane defuses the situation by suggesting that they should go for a cup of tea, as she and Anita have a lot of catching up to do;  

"I haven't told you about Dai's birthday trip"

“I haven’t told you about Dai’s birthday trip yet.”

"Here he is – 72 years young!"

Cassie is vigorously polishing the bar when Dai comes in;  “Well, well, here he his, the man himself – 72 years young!”   

How on earth did you know that?"

He wonders how on earth she knew that and she laughs that everyone knows about the big trip to Cardiff.

"A lot too much!"

Kath asks him what he will be doing;  he replies, “A lot too much!   

"How am I supposed to trudge round the city?"

“How am I supposed to trudge around the city?   My legs ache walking upstairs.   It’s hard enough going to the Bull in Llanarthur, let alone Cardiff.”

"Would you like a whisky?"

Cassie enquires whether he would like a whisky, 

"On the house"

surprising him by saying that it is a birthday present.   She explains, “This is how I see things – you have two choices.   

"Either you put up with the pain . . ."

“You go, put up with the pain and keep your mouth shut – or you tell her.   

". . . or you tell her"

“But you have to make the decision before long.”   

Dai takes a swig of his whisky

He considers his position while drinking the whisky.

Kelly brings tea

At Brynawelon, Kelly brings Ieuan a cup of tea 

"I'm not easy to deal with, am I?"

and he confesses, “I’m not easy to deal with, am I?”

"Complete nightmare"

Kelly’s reply is, “Complete nightmare – but I’ve lived with worse.”

"They've been a bit negligent"

“I can’t help thinking that they've been a bit negligent here,” he goes on.

"That's why you've been actin like a control freak"

“So that’s why you’ve been acting like a complete control freak – she can’t stay in hospital for ever, you know.   

"There's something else, isn't there?"

“There’s something else, isn’t there?”

Ieuan does not reply

He remains silent, so Kelly tells him that she knows and she understands.   

"I feel so guilty"

“I feel so guilty,” he admits, “The guilt is eating me alive, Kelly.”

Kelly points out that UTIs happen

“It wasn’t your fault – it wasn’t my fault – it wasn’t the staff at Brynawelon.   UTIs happen.”

"So it's not Janet she knows about"

Ieuan realises that she is not talking about his friendship with Janet;  he agrees that they almost lost Anita.

"She's made of steel!"

“But we didn’t – because she’s made of steel!” Kelly assures him.

"I just long for the old Anita"

He still longs for the old Anita and is told that she is still there, 

"We see glimpses now and again"

“Because we see glimpses now and again, don’t we?   I haven’t been there for you enough recently – and I realise that now – because we all need someone to talk to.   

"We really need to be honest with each other"

“But you and I really need to be honest with each other.

Diane is complaining

Diane arrives back at Bryntirion and moans that it would have been quicker to pick Anita up from hospital and carry her back to Brynawelon.

Dai sits at the kitchen table

Dai is sitting at the kitchen table, not looking forward to the conversation which will follow.   

"I'm going to make it up to you, good boy"

“But don’t worry, I’m going to make it up to you now;  I’ve booked us a table at the Bull in Llanarthur – the celebrations start now, good boy!”

"This time next week . . ."

He does not look much like celebrating as she continues, “Just think, this time next week we’ll be sipping cocktails at the bar.   A Daiquiri for you and a Piña Colada for me, I think.”

"Diane . . ."2

Dai tries to interrupt, but Diane is in full flow, “We might have been for a massage in the spa – all right, no massage – 

"We have to go to that swanky Italian"

“but we have to go to that swanky Italian round the corner.”

"No . . ."

“No,” he says, and she maintains that he said it was the best Polpette di Carné he has ever had.

". . . I'm not going to Cardiff"

“No, because I’m not going for an Italian, I’m not going for a cocktail or a massage, because I’m not going to Cardiff.” 

"It's non-refundable!"

She is extremely disappointed as she has booked everything now and it is non-refundable.   “There’s a free upgrade, Dai – and a glass of Prosecco on arrival.”

"I just can't go to Cardiff"

He is sorry, “But I just can’t go to Cardiff.”

"She's really happy to be back"

In the Deri, Kelly reports to Cassie, “She’s really happy to be back at Brynawelon – she smiled all day.”   Cassie will go to visit her next week.

Ieuan takes the drinks

As Ieuan goes across to the table, 

"I can understand he's suffering"

Cassie can understand that he is suffering;  “Between you and me, Cass, he’s been keeping his distance since before the UTIs.   He said he can’t cope with seeing her, then says he feels guilty – Auntie Neet’s health scares are not his fault either.   

"Thanks for the sleepover last week"

“By the way, thanks for the sleepover last week.”

"It was the least I could do"

Cassie says that was the least she could do, telling Kelly to look after him.

"Perhaps we should think about having a mini-break"

Kath remarks to Cassie, “I was just thinking that it’s nice that Diane wants to take Dai to Cardiff.   Perhaps we should think about having a mini break – why not?   

"Cardiff, Bath, Shrewsbury, perhaps"

“You know, Cardiff, Bath, Shrewsbury perhaps.”

Cassie reminds her of the problem that they cannot be off at the same time, 

"We have staff, haven't we?"

but Kath replies that they have staff.   Cassie suggests the start of the year when it will be quieter.

Diane comes in

Meanwhile, Diane has come in 

"Is it self-service or what?"

and grumbles, “Is it self service or what?   

"Gin, no tonic"

“Gin, no tonic.”   

"What am I supposed to do withe non-refundable trip?"

Then she sits down and goes on, “Tell me, what is someone supposed to do with a non-refundable two-night trip in a spa hotel?   

"I can't go on my own"

“I can’t go on my own!”

"Why not?"

Kath wonders why not, pointing out that Diane could have a massage, cocktails, a bit of peace;  “What could be better?”

"Seriously, how can we sell?"

Megan and Siôn come out of Bethania;  “Seriously, how can we sell?”    she demands.   

"We don't have any choice"

Siôn points out that at the end of the day they do not have any choice.   

Bu this is an integral part of Cwmderi!"

“But this is an integral part of Cwmderi!”

There has been a higher offer

Siôn’s phone rings and he finds that it is the estate agent, advising that they have had a higher offer;  

"Mr Foster-Brown of Swindon!"

he snarls, “Well, that’s it, then – we’ll have to accept the offer from Mr Foster-Brown from Swindon!”

"Where would we be without Bethania?"

He turns to Megan, who asks, “Where would we be without Bethania?   This is the heart of the community.”

Siôn has changed his mind

Siôn looks up at the building and declares, “We have to stop the sale.”   

"But we can't afford it"

Megan reminds him that he said they cannot afford to do so.   He maintains that he could not live with himself if he did not at least try;  

"Somehow we're going to save Bethania!"

“Somehow or other, Megan, we’re going to save Bethania.”

"How's Janet?"

Ieuan sits gloomily in the Deri and Cassie asks him how Janet is, but he informs her, “It’s over now.”   She thinks that is probably for the best 

"You haven't told anyone?"

and he is anxious that she has not said anything;  she confirms that she has not.

"One for the road, then?"

Kelly comes back from the ladies and suggests that they could have one for the road, but Ieuan has had enough.

"I'm not like Cassie. . ."

At the bar, Diane is still telling her troubles to Kath;  “The thing is, I’m not like Cassie –

". . . I could never turn up on my own"

“I could never turn up at a hotel on my own.   I’d be self-conscious, like some Shirley Valentine – no, I don’t want that.   I’m a married woman – Dai and I are always together – we’re a unit.   I shall have to cancel.”

"I could come with you"

Kath suggests, “I could come with you – it would be fun, wouldn’t it?   Like the old days.”   

"Not when Dai's at home, alone"

Diane consider that it would be wrong, enjoying themselves in Cardiff when Dai is at home alone.   She does not think that she could do that.

"I'd better get back to him"

“Well, I’d better get back to him, I suppose.”   She leaves the Deri.

Dai watches TV

Dai is watching the television, where we can hear the commentary, “Bringing people together from every background.”   He turns it off when Diane comes in.

"I shouldn't have sulked"

“I’m sorry,” she says, “I shouldn’t have sulked.”   

"You can have as many massages as you like . . ."

Dai informs her that she is going to have as many massages, facials and piña coladas as she likes.

"I'm not going to leave you on your own"

She is adamant, “No – I’m not going to leave you on your own.”   

"I've booked myself into Brynawelon . . ."

He tells her that he will not be on his own because he has booked himself into Brynawelon, so there is nothing to stop her from going.   

". . . so Cinders can go to the big smoke"

“Cinders can go to the big smoke after all.

"There's a couple of lamb chops in the oven"

“And the Bull at Llanarthur can go whistle, too, because I’ve put a couple of lamb chops in the oven – 

Diane simply thinks

“I can’t find the rosemary, where do you keep it?”

Anita is sleeping

Anita is asleep in her new room at Brynawelon.   

Ieuan covers her with the dressing gown

Ieuan spreads her blue dressing gown over her and sits down in the chair.   

"I would never hurt you"

“I would never hurt you,” he says, “You know that, don’t you?   

"The dalliance is over now"

“The dalliance is over now, I promise.   

"She was company . . ."

“She was company – that’s the truth – 

". . . because, the thing is . . ."

“because, the thing is, 

". . . I miss you so much"

“I miss you so much.”

No comments: