22 July 2026

21 July 2026

Eleri looks at her phone

Eleri comes around the corner by MFC, looking at her phone;  as she passes the door of the shop, Garry emerges and calls after her.   

"Ive ben trying to phone you

“Eleri, I’ve been trying to phone you.   There’s a delay with Mrs Lloyds’ will.”

"We're waiting for the death certificate"

She explains that they are waiting for the death certificate, 

"Well, hurry it up, then!"

so he tells her to hurry it up.   

"Shall I go to the morgue and sign it myself?"

“What do you want me to do?   Go to the morgue and sign it myself?” she snarls, then walks away, heading for the deli.

There is a surprise in the deli

As she walks in, she is surprised to see Jinx sitting there, reading the paper;  “You came back!” she gasps.

"Looks like it, doesn't it?"

“Looks like it, doesn’t it?” he replies, “Sorry, I didn’t know I needed permission to come back to Cwmderi.”   

"How's the art going?"

Eleri rather awkwardly asks how the art is going.   “Slowly – I’m quite aware that the exhibition is next week, thanks – 

"I'm aware of a lot of things these days"

“just like I’m aware of a lot of things these days.”

"I'd like to talk"

She would like to talk, 

"There's nothing else to say"

but he considers that there is nothing else to say;  looking very downcast, she asks for a flat white to go.

"I don't think Howard's the man for Penrhewl"

In the shop flat, Eileen complains, “If the sheep weren’t the problem, it would be something else,” as she hands Siôn his post.   “I don’t think Howard’s the man for Penrhewl, you know.”

"An invitation to adjudicate!"

Siôn is delighted to discover that he has an invitation to adjudicate the literary category, at the Bancffosfelen Eisteddfod.   Eileen maintains, “We’re real Eisteddfod people now – 

"You'll be a Gorsedd member before you turn round"

“you’ll be a Gorsedd member before you turn round – you can coach Huwi-John on the recitation.”

"Oh, that's good news"

Siôn’s phone rings, so he answers it;  “Oh, that’s good news – let me think about it and we’ll talk again, OK?”   

"There has been an offer on Morawel"

He announces to Eileen that there has been an offer on Morawel.   “A local young couple – the agent wants us to wait in case there’s another offer.”

"The price will go up and up!"

“The price will go up and up – a win-win!” Eileen gloats, avariciously, 

"I'm sure I've seen that here"

then she reads from the leaflet, “It says here that Etifeddiaeth  [Inheritance] by Gerald Lloyd Owen is the recitation piece – I’m sure I’ve seen that here.”

"The value of progress is a nation's shame"

Siôn quotes from the piece, “The value of progress is a nation’s shame.   It’s about people who put money first.”   

"You're the one to teach Huwi"

Eileen tells him that the way he recited it was lovely and that he is definitely the one to teach Huwi.

"Get your glad rags ready"

Jinx is now speaking to Dai and Diane in the deli;  “Get your glad rags ready – just as long as I’ve finished in time.”   

"Naked people – and things dangling everywhere!"

Diane enquires whether he can see a light at the end of the tunnel, while Dai is more critical;  “Paintings of naked people – and things dangling everywhere!”   

Jinx assures him that he will not be including those, and Diane says that they are looking forward to the exhibition.

"You must have more important things on your mind"

Jinx realises that Dai must have more important things on his mind;  

"Like watching rugby?"

“Like watching rugby, you mean?   And then watching more rugby,” Diane groans.

"No – organising Cwmfest"

“No, Cwmfest – you must be busy organising that – celebrating the club’s one hundred and something.”   

"Eh – what?"

Dai has no idea what he is talking about, 

"I thought you'd be included"

so Jinx realises, “Sorry, I thought you’d be included.”   

"I'll put it in my diary"

Diane is sure that it must be a misunderstanding or something and will put Jinx’s launch date in her diary.

"Snake in the grass!"

Dai’s anger is festering;  he grumbles, “Hywel Llywelyn’s at the root of this – snake in the grass!”   Diane tells him to eat his breakfast, but he continues, “Cwmfest!   I’ll give him Cwmfest!”

Diane had forgotten about it . . .

Meanwhile, Diane has opened her diary and discovers that today is Dai’s birthday, 

. . . and she will have to make amends

which comes out rather a shock to her.

"We haven't had Elizabeth Lloyds death certificate"

At Cysgod y Glyn, Eleri is speaking on the phone, “This is Eleri Beynon from Brynawelon home in Cwmderi.   I’m just going through a few things and I’ve noticed we haven’t had Elizabeth Lloyd’s death certificate.   I’m just trying to get things off my desk.   

"Thanks, I'd appreciate that"

“Thanks, I’d appreciate that.”

"When was I going to find out?"

Dai has gone to number 21 to vent his frustration to Hywel;  “And when was I going to find out about this Cwmfest?   A two page spread in the Western Post or something on CwmFM?   

"After everyone's stuffed the last sausage roll?"

“Or even better, over a pint in the Deri – after everyone’s stuffed the last sausage rolls!   

"You listen to me, Hywel Llywelyn!"

“You listen to me, Hywel Llywelyn, I’ve given a lifetime to this club and this is the thanks I get!   

Hywel waits until it calms down

“I don’t know what’s worse – that nobody bothered to tell me, or that I had to find out from that hippie Jinx in the café!”

When he can get a word in, Hywel explains that the committee felt Dai did not have to do all the hard work any more;  

"It's the youngsters' turn"

“It’s the youngsters’ turn to take the reins.    You’ve given years to this club – if it wasn’t for you, it would be on its knees.”

"You can say that again!"

“You can say that again!” Dai shouts, while Hywel insists that they all thought he deserved to enjoy his retirement.

"I admit I should have told you"

“Right, I admit that perhaps I should have told you . . .”   

"Yes, you should!"

Dai certainly agrees with that and takes it that they are still discussing the ideas he put forward a while ago.

“So a dinner with ex-players and a friendly with a couple of celebs is still on the cards?” Dai demands.

"There's nothing on the programme at the moment"

Hywel says that there is nothing in the programme at the moment;  

"What exactly is on the programme?"

“So what exactly is in the programme at the moment?” Dai wants to know, 

"A tiddlywinks championship?"

“A tiddlywinks championship on the halfway line?   Heavens, Hywel, you need to invite ex-players to the celebrations!”

Hywel assures him that there is a meeting this afternoon and you will deal with it.   

Dai has contacts in high places

As he leaves, Dai reminds him, “Remember, I’ve still got the phone numbers for some WRU bigwigs!”   

Hywel will talk to him later.   “Pleased to see that you’ve come to your senses – hopefully,” says Dai as he goes.

"I'm sure it has a white cover"

Eileen has not been able to find the recitation piece;  “I’m sure it has a white cover.”   

"Black and red, I think"

Siôn believes that it is black and red;  he has not seen it since moving out of Y Felin.   Eileen will phone Iolo and ask him.

Siôn Strats speech writing . . .

Siôn turns to the laptop, where he is preparing a speech;  “And thanks to the hard work of Mark Jones and myself, the bench . . .”

. . . then realises he is not alone

Then he realises someone is standing in the doorway – 

"I was keen to have a meeting"

Garry Monk.   “I was keen to have a meeting with my hard-working and diligent community councillor.   

"One item on the agenda – Bethania!"

“Don’t worry, Siôn, there’s only one thing on the agenda – Bethania.   All I want you to do is plant some seeds into the minds of the oldies – the deacons.   

Siôn is given his instructions

“Just tell them the roof is caving in, there’s damp on the walls, asbestos everywhere – as long as they start to realise that the only option is to sell.”

"What if I refuse?"

Garry gets up to leave and Siôn asks what happens if he refuses.   

"You're not that stupid"

“You’re not that stupid,” says Garry.

Siôn goes outside . . .

Siôn leaves the shop flat 

 . . . where he meets Diane

and meets Diane in the alley, who says that she is in a rush.   

"There's been an offer"

“The estate agent has been on the phone about Morawel – there has been an offer – and it’s not every day that an offer comes in from a young couple – they’re usually priced out of the market.   The price is lower than the asking price.”

"What did the agent say?"

Diane gets straight to the point, “What did the agent say?”   Siôn maintains that there is doubt whether there will be another offer 

"We're duty bound to protect the younger generation"

and feels that they are duty bound to protect the younger generation.

'I'm duty bound to protect Anita's investments"

Diane disagrees, “I’m duty bound to protect Anita’s investments.”

"Not just lining our pockets"

Siôn continues to maintain, “We need to think about the legacy, not just lining our pockets.”

"After renting the place out for years?"

Diane snarls, “After renting the place out for years as a holiday home, you have the cheek to accuse people of ‘lining their pockets’?   Do you know what, Siôn?   

"I always knew you were a hypocrite!"

“I always knew you were a hypocrite – and you’ve confirmed that now.”

Garry enters the Deri . . .

Garry walks into the Deri, 

. . . where Eleri has a bottle . . .

where Eleri is just pouring herself a glass of wine.   

. . . so he asks for another glass

He goes to the bar and asks for another glass, 

"Lover boy's back, then?"

then sits down by Eleri, remarking, “Lover boy’s back, then?”

"We don't talk about him"

Her response is, “We don’t talk about him.”   He is however eager to talk about Mrs Lloyd, so Eleri assures him that the certificate is on its way.   

"Mrs Lloyd and her will"

He proposes a toast to Mrs Lloyd and her will.

Jinx notices them

Then the door opens and Jinx comes in for a pint of lager;  he notices them, 

"We don't talk about him"

but again Eleri comments, “We don’t talk about him.”

Dai does not look at all happy

Dai is watching television at Bryntirion as Diane is moaning, “And he had the cheek to say people just wanted to line their pockets – him of all people!”

Hywel comes calling

There is a knock at the door and Diane finds that it is Hywel.   

"They want to offer some fresh events"

He begins, “Dai, I’ve talked to the committee and they feel they want to offer some fresh events instead of rehashing the old ones.”

"Dai's had years of experience"

Diane stands up for Dai here, pointing out that he has years of experience;  “Where’s the respect and the recognition?”   

"Just leave it, Diane"
Dai tells her to just leave it, as he says that he is sure that Hywel tried his best, but does not appear to believe that to be the case.

"You're welcome to attend free"

Hywel points out that Dai is welcome to attend any of the events and for free;  he is confident that there will be something for everyone 

"Cheek!"

and thinks that now would be a good time to leave.   

Dai is downhearted

Neither Dai nor Diane are happy about this situation.

"Huwi-John doesn't want to do the recitation . . ."

The book has obviously been located, as Siôn is currently looking at it;  Eileen flounces in, complaining that Huwi does not want to take part in the recitation and she has tried everything.   

". . . we shall have to stick with the trombone"

“We shall have to stick with the trombone.”

How can I refuse a local couple?"

Siôn wonders, “How can I refuse a local couple, who want to put their roots down in Morawel?   Raise children, even.”   Eileen points out that he does not know that they will do that;  

"They might make a huge profit"

perhaps they will resell and make a huge profit.

"That would be between them and their conscience"

“That would be between them and their conscience,” Siôn maintains, “At least, I could live with myself.   Do you think I’m a hypocrite?   I know I kept that place as a holiday home – but selling to the highest bidder, that’s  a different matter.”

"We had a country to keep"

Eileen does not share the same concern as him about places, but he sits down and quotes the book he has been reading, “We had a country to keep – for our children and our children’s children.”

"People – like Anita – are important"

She points out that people are important, “And in this case, Anita.   

"Could you live with yourself?"

“Could you live with yourself giving her less, knowing that money would enrich the life that she has left?   

"Sometimes we have to pick our battles"

“Sometimes, we have to pick our battles.”   

He ponders on her words

This makes Siôn think seriously.

"Another bottle, please"

As Jinx stands at the bar, Garry gets up to fetch another bottle, 

"She was doing it for you . . "

then tells him, “She was doing it for you – you do realise that, don’t you?   

". . . do you think she wanted to sleep with him?"

“Do you think she wanted to sleep with him?”

"I have no interest in anything you say"

“Garry, with all due respect, I have no interest in anything you have to say,” replies Jinx and walks out of the Deri.

When Garry brings the bottle, Eleri asks what they were talking about, 

"We don't talk about it"

but this time he replies, “We don’t talk about it.”   

"Aren't you out of his league?"

When she continues to demand whether Jinx said anything, Garry continues, “Aren’t you out of his league?”

Eleri maintains that it does not make any difference now, as they are over. 

"He's a bit of a drip, if you ask me"

“Well, I just don’t understand the appeal – he’s a bit of a drip if you ask me.   At least Kyle had a bit of ‘oomph’.”

"We're talking a lot about Huw"

“To think the deal was not to talk about Huw, we’re talking a lot about Huw,” she complains.   

"He makes me laugh – and I can trust him"

“All right – he makes me laugh – I can be myself with him, if you must know – and I trust him.   The only man I’ve trusted – and I’ve spoiled it all.”

"You trust me, don't you?"

“You trust me, don't you?” Garry demands.

"As much as you trust me"

“Of course I do – as much as you trust me,” she answers.

"I've had a bit of trouble with Dai . . ."

Hywel comes in, speaking to Iolo on the phone;  “I’ve had a bit of trouble with Dai – he’s trying to push his ideas on the celebrations, but don’t worry, I’ve sorted it.   

". . . he has no idea, does he?"

“Yes, he has no idea, does he, poor thing?

Diane has taken presents from the kitchen cupboard

Diane is taking out some presents from the kitchen cupboard at Bryntirion and placing them on the table.   

"The least we can do is get the highest price"

Her phone rings;  “Siôn, don’t tell me, you’ve called to say I’ve no right to call myself Welsh.   Like I said, the least we can do is to get the highest possible price . . . 

Then she has a surprise – he agrees with her

“oh, I see – well, that's what I was trying to tell you from the start – you’re doing the right thing.”

"We could have another bottle"

Eleri suggests that they could have another bottle;  

"Are you sure about that?"

when Garry asks if she is sure about that, 

"I've never been more sure of anything"

she replies, “I’ve never been more sure of anything in my life, Garry Monk – come on, chop chop!”

Surely she would have listed him as 'Huw'

While he is at the bar, she reaches into her bag to find her phone, which she scrolls to Jinx’s details and is about to phone him, 

She looks as if she is leaving

but then has a second thoughts, puts back the phone 

Yes, there she goes

and quietly leaves the Deri.

When he has paid . . .

Garry does not notice her departure, as he is paying for the bottle, 

. . . there is no sign of Eleri

but then looks around, puzzled.

Jinx is at work

Jinx is at number 9, working on another masterpiece, when there is a knock at the door.   

"I only want to have a chat"

“Hi,” says Eleri, but he argues that now is not the time, although she assures him that she only wants to talk, to have a chat.

“OK, we can have a chat – but not now,” he insists.

"You hate me, don't you?"

“You hate me, don’t you?   You hate my guts,” she says;  he can see that she has been drinking, 

"Come on, I'll take you home"

so proposes to take her home.   She goes on, “What hurts me most is that you can’t stand me!”

"I don't hate you, Eleri"

He points out that he does not hate her, 

"I'm surprised you can even look at this"

but she goes on, “I’m surprised you can even look at this picture, you hate me so much!” as she looks at a picture of herself.

“Look, I’ve said I don’t hate you – we will talk, I promise, but I think you’d better go home now.”

She can feel it coming.

He is rather annoyed when she shows signs of being about to vomit, 

Presumably washable paint?

which is all over the picture, 

"Aargh!   No!"

much to his frustration.   

Eleri humiliated

She looks suitably upset.

Siôn is not enjoying this

At the shop flat, Huwi is practising his trombone, which is not appreciated by Siôn, 

"That will be brilliant!"

although Eileen praises the boy, “With a bit of practice, that will be brilliant!   Now go to your room and practice that middle bit, OK?”

"What's the point?   It's so boring!"

“What’s the point?   It’s so boring!” shouts Huwi, thrusting the instrument at his mother.   

"We have to pick our battles"

Siôn reminds Eileen of what she said earlier;  “We have to pick our battles.”

Garry wants results . . .

Then he receives a message on his phone from Garry, 

. . . and Siôn is worried

enquiring whether there has been any developments.

The washing machine is on

Jinx puts things into the washing machine, 

Eleri is very repentant

while Eleri, clad in one of his shirts, tell him how sorry she is about everything.   It’s all right – it’s about time I got a new rug,” he sighs.

"Why did you come back?"

She thinks that she had better go, but before she does so she asks, “Why did you come back?”

"I couldn't not come back"

“I couldn’t not come back,” he replies, “Right, I’ve got an exhibition to prepare for,” 

She sadly walks out . . .

and she sadly walks out of the house, 

. . . and leaves Jinx with his thoughts

leaving Jinx with his feelings. 

No comments: