10 October 2026

7 October 2026

Howard is still in the barn

Howard is still where we left him several days ago, in the barn at Penrhewl with Chips the dog;  suddenly he hears a vehicle outside and gets up to investigate, 

"I'll sort this out now"

informing Chips, I’ll sort this out now.   The dog obediently stays where it is.

Dorian appears

Dorian comes in, wielding a shotgun and appears to be pointing it at Chips, so 

"Dorian!"

Howard says, “Dorian!” which surprises him;  

"What are you doing here?"

he cannot understand what Howard is doing there.

"Do you need a hand?"

Garry is approaching Bethania, where Britt is in the process of removing the totaliser

 from the door, as the money has all been raised, and offers to give her a hand with it.

She asks how he slept last night 

"The best night's sleep I've had in months"

and he replies, “The best night’s sleep I’ve had in months.”   She asks him to put the notice round the back of MFC.

"You are coming to the Deri later?"

“You’re coming to the Deri later, aren’t you, for the family lunch?” he asks, “I’ll see you there at around midday – don’t be late.”

"You're looking well, Garry"

As he walks away, she calls after him, commenting that he is looking well, 

A rare smile from Garry

for which she is very grateful.

Clearing up on the farm

In the farmyard, Howard and Dorian are carrying some pallets before throwing them on to a pile.   

"I've been keeping the place going

Howard says that he has been keeping the place going for the last few weeks.

"Can't be easy, working at two places" 

Dorian appreciates that it must not be easy working there and at Llangain;  

"Come down to the village with me"

“There will be more shape here from day with me moving in,” he predicts, “The early bird catches the worm as Grandad used to say.   Right, come down to the village with me – I feel like some greasy food – 

"The sort of stuff Mags won't let me have"

“the sort of stuff Mags won’t let me have in the house.”

"No, I've got s lot to do today"

Howard turns down the offer, explaining that he has a lot to do today, with fixing fences and mucking out.   Dorian will not take no for an answer, 

"Even the Pope gets Saturday off"

protesting, “Come on, even the Pope gets Saturday afternoon off!”

"Does he?"

Howard finds this puzzling;  “Does he?   

"It's not Saturday, though"

“It’s not Saturday, though.”

“Just come with me – I’ve got something to ask you,” adds Dorian.

"I'm definitely having the burger"

At Maes-y-Deri, Gwern has decided that he is definitely going to have the burger in the Deri;  “A bloke from Llanarthur was talking about them on TikTok.”   

"Don't let Britt hear you say that"

Dani warns him not to let Britt hear him say that.   

"I'm going to set up for tonight"

Now he is going to The Pizza Place to set up for tonight and will see Dani at lunchtime.

Garry arrives . . .

As he opens the door to leave, Garry is just arriving;  

. . . and helps Dani with the clasp

he assists Dani, who is trying to fasten the clasp on the necklace which Abbie gave to her.   

"Seren was there with us"

She asks how he is after yesterday, maintaining that she sensed Seren was there with them;  

"Yes, she was"

Garry agrees that she was.

"Things will be all right"

Dani is hoping that things will be a bit easier now and he is confident that things will be all right from now on.

"Pint of lime and soda, please"

Iolo comes into the Deri, asking for a pint of lime and soda;  

"Business must be booming"

Cassie is sure that business must be booming, as everyone wants their boilers checked at this time of year.   “Why the long face?” she asks.

"A chlamidia test!"

He reveals that he has just been to the sexual health clinic for a test;  “A chlamydia test!” 

That surprises Cassie

which rather takes Cassie by surprise.   

"And I've given it to Mr Huws"

“And now I’m worried I’ve given it to Mr Huws, the deputy head.”

“That’s one way of welcoming him into the village,” is Cassie’s comment.

"I'm Cwmderi's pariah!"

Iolo now regards himself as Cwmderi’s pariah;  “He doesn’t want anything to do with me now.   You know, Cassie, I really regret having such a . . . busy period.   

"I shall be here until next week!"

If I am positive, I shall be here until next week contacting every former partner.”   

"Well, copy and paste"

She advises him to copy and paste and will bring his drink over to him

"Sorry – declined again"

In MFC, Britt tells Howard that his card has been declined again, 

"I'll pay"

so Dorian steps in and pays by cash, telling her to keep the change.   

"That's the story of my life"

They sit down with their meals and Dorian comments, “That’s the story of my life – baby-sitting you!   Do you have a cash-flow problem, then?”

"What about this new job, then?"

Howard does not reply, so he goes on, “What about this new job, then?   Don’t say you’ve been sacked already.   Where is this farm in Llangain, anyway?

"There never was a job, was there?"

As Howard remains silent, he comes to the conclusion, “There never was a job, was there?   You’ve been squatting in the barn – living in a box in the barn!”

"Keep your voice down!"

Howard urges him to keep his voice down;  “You say you’ve got something to ask me, but you just pull me down!”   

"I've got to close now, boys"

Britt tells them that she is having to shut the shop now, as she is going out to lunch.

"I'm leaving, anyway!"

“Don’t worry – I’m leaving anyway!” snarls Howard and storms out.   

"It's his hormones"

Dorian apologises for him, alleging that it is ‘hormones’ and picks up both their boxes.

"What – phoning and booking a table?"

In the Deri, Dani thanks Garry for organising today;  “What – for phoning and booking a table?” he protests.   

"I'm glad you came yesterday"

She is very glad that he came yesterday, 

"I should be thanking you, Dan"

but he maintains that he should be thanking her for keeping this family together.

“I’m so glad that we’re on good terms now,” he continues, 

"We will always be family"

so she reminds him that they are family and will always be family.   “And nothing more than that?” he queries, 

"Perhaps we have a future"

and grasps her hand, “Because sometimes I catch myself thinking that perhaps we have a future.”

Gwern has just come in

Gwern has just come in and is watching 

"You need to get better"

as Dani replies, “If you want a future, you need to get better.   Gwern needs his father.”

They have noticed Gwern . . . 

Then they notice him, so his father suggests that they have a game of darts, 

. . . who is about to walk out in disgust

but he angrily slams down the darts on the bar and is in the process of storming out of the pub.   Garry asks if he is OK, 

"Your main character energy is through the roof again!"

but is told, “No, because your main character energy is through the roof again!   I saw you holding Dani’s hand – just leave her alone, OK?”

"You've misunderstood"

When his father protests that he has misunderstood, 

"She deserves better than you"

Gwern goes on, “I haven’t misunderstood anything – she deserves better than you so stay away!”

Cassie brings Iolo's drink

Cassie takes Iolo’s drink out to him and will not charge him, seeing that he has had such a challenging week;  

"Which do you think would be more fun?"

“What do you think would be more fun?” she asks, “An autumn fair or a karaoke night?”

"Autumn fair sounds good"

replies that an autumn fair sounds good, but is engrossed in his phone.   Cassie is determined to hold an event to give people a bit of fun, 

"What's so interesting on there?"

then asks what is so interesting on his phone.

"Chlamidia can lead to . . ."

“Sorry, Cassie, but it says here that if not treated, Chlamydia can lead to . . .”   

"You'll be getting it treated, won't you?"

She stops him there, advising that if he has it, he will be getting it treated, will he not?   

"Serious health complications"

Nevertheless, he continues that it also says it can lead to serious health complications.

"You're thinking too far ahead now"

She accuses him of thinking too far ahead now;  “When will you get the result?”   He says that it will take two to five days, so she instruct him to forget about it for two to five days, 

"Unless you want an excuse"

“Unless you want an excuse to phone the handsome teacher.” 

"He's not interested in me"

Iolo is convinced that Morgan is not interested in him, anyway;  “Things are more complicated than that now, aren’t they?”   

"Don't give up so easily"

He is told not to give up so easily and to enjoy his pint.

"It's lovely, Dani"

Inside the Deri, Dani is showing Britt the necklace with the letter ‘S’, for Seren and Scarlett.   

"I'm giving them something for Christmas"

Dani has decided that she is going to give them something for Christmas and wants to keep in touch.   She raises the possibility of getting more letters.

“From other people who Seren has helped,” says Britt.

Garry chases after Gwern 

Gwern returns from a visit to the Gents’ and his father tackles him again;    

"Have a game of darts with me"

“Gwern, have a game of darts with me – you don’t need to worry about me and Dani.   We understand each other.”   

"Do you think they're all right?"

Dani looks up and is concerned to see them talking

"You couldn't be bothered to answer"

Gwern replies, “If you say so – but there was a lot of build-up before yesterday.   Dani tried to phone you every night and you couldn’t be bothered to answer.”   

"Of course I was bothered"

Garry maintains that of course he was bothered, “More bothered than you can imagine, especially about you.   Listen, I was there yesterday, I organised today.”

"There we are, then – job done!"

“There we are, then – job done!” snarls Gwern.

“What else do you want from me?” demands Garry, “How many parents buy their child a business and set them up?”

"I don't want a business – I want a father!"

“Not this again!” Gwern shouts, “And, just so you know, I don’t want a business – I want a father!”

"Is everything all right?"

Dani has come to see if everything is all right;  

"Fine – isn't it, Gwern?"

Garry assures her that it is and that he is just about to enjoy game of darts with Gwern.

Howard has had a shower

Howard comes into the farmhouse kitchen after having had a shower and finds his cousin with his feet up on the table.   

"There's less of a stench now"

“There’s less of a stench in here now,” comments Dorian.

"I need to look tidy"

Howard replies that he needs to look tidy if he is to find somewhere else to live, but is told that there is no need for that.   

"You can move in here with me"

“You can move in here with me if you want.”   

"Are you serious?"

Howard is quite amazed by this suggestion.

“I can’t have a farmhand sleeping in the barn, can I?   

"I'm offering it to you on a plate"

“I’m offering it to you on a plate – that’s what I wanted to ask you.”

"One condition – that Chips can stay!"

Howard has one condition for him;  “That Chips can stay!”

"I want to be there for you"

After the darts game, Garry insists that he wants to be there for Gwern and will be there for him.   Gwern is convinced that the opposite is the case;  

"No, you won't be"

“No, you won’t be – you’re going to leave me like Seren and Mam did.”

Again, his father insists that he is not going to leave him;  “Trust me – I’m going to do my best.”   

Dani has been keeping an eye on them

Once more Dani has been watching.   When Gwern   asks his father how he is going to do that, he remains silent, 

Gwern walks out

so Gwern walks out.

Dani wants to know what has happened now 

"We need to talk, Dan"

and Garry tells her that they need to talk.

"I've had the test . . ."
Outside the Deri, Iolo sends a voice message to Morgan;  “I wanted to let you know that I’ve had the test – and if it comes back positive, I’ll be straight on it, OK, I promise – medication and everything.    
". . . and I'll contact everyone"

“And I’ll contact everyone – well, not everyone – just a couple of boys – 
"I'm just rambling"

“you know what?   I’m just rambling, so I hope you’re OK and I just wanted to let you know.”

Cassie has been watching, so he explains, “I was just letting the hot teacher know.”   

"Don't keep looking at that phone"

She congratulates him and advises him to relax and not keep looking at the phone.

As she is about to take the empty glass inside, the phone sounds;  

"It's the 'thumbs-up'"

Iolo finds that it is from Morgan with a single thumbs-up emoji.   

"At least he's contacted you"

“At least he’s contacted you, says Cassie.

"She won't be any trouble"

“She won’t be any trouble,” insists Howard, 

"Animals should not be in the house"

but Dorian is insistent that animals should not be in the house, as it is not natural.   “Chips and I are friends!” Howard protests and is told that he has been in that shed for too long.

"How many times do I have to tell you?"

“How many times do I have to tell you?” Dorian shouts.

"If Mags only knew how cruel you can be"

Howard remarks, “If Mags only knew how cruel you can be sometimes,” then walks out of the farmhouse.

"You've got an appointment tomorrow?"

“So you’ve got an appointment tomorrow?” asks Dani;  he confirms that it is in the afternoon, they were just a few tests to see if things have . . .

"I have to fight for what I have left"

“You know, yesterday with Scarlett and Abbie – I have to fight for what I have left, don’t I?”   

"Gwern will be happy"

Dani knows that Gwern will be so happy, 

"Don't tell Gwern!"

but he forbids her to tell his son.   He does not want to raise Gwern’s hopes.   “Nobody can know, only you!” he stipulates, 

"Please, Dan, just promise me"

“Please, Dan – just promise me – don’t tell anyone.”

"You two had better come inside"

Dorian walks across the farmyard towards Howard and Chips;  “It’s supposed to rain tonight – you two had better come inside.”   This comes as a surprise to Howard, 

"Chips can only come into the kitchen"

but it is stressed that Chips can only come into the kitchen – and only sometimes.

"If Chips is all right, I'm all right"

Howard comments that now they are in business;  “If Chips is all right, I’m all right.”   He quite cheerfully adds, “It’s not me who will have to deal with Eileen now!”

"We'll have a good time . . ."

Dorian maintains that they will have a good time;  “I’m sure of it – 

". . . Mags will love the place as well"

“and Mags will love the place as well.”   

Chips is happy with the outcome . . .

Chips appears to be in favour of continuing to live at Penrhewl 

. . . and has a bite to eat

and Howard is relieved that they are back.

"I managed to get a last minute appointment "

In the Deri, Garry tells Dani that he managed to get a last-minute appointment at 5:00pm tomorrow.   

"Come back to the flat for a drink"

Britt, of course, does not know what is going on.   She invites them both back to the flat for a drink, but Dani has to pick up Gabriel 

"Didn't you say you had  business meeting?"

and reminds Garry that he has a business meeting.

"You're getting boring in your old age"

Britt comments that they are getting very boring in their old age and leaves them; 

"Thanks for that, Dani`'

Garry thanks Dani for inventing the business meeting, but she insists that he will have to tell them some time.   

"He'll never forgive you"

She urges him to tell Gwern;  “If you don’t, he’s never going to forgive you – if you hear me?”

"I want it kept between the two of us!"

He is adamant that he wants to keep the secret between the two of them and they leave the Deri.

 

No comments: